Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parterre garden help

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 20:20

I don't know where to post this question! If another forum is more appropriate and would receive more replies, please advise me of this.

I live in southwest Idaho, on the edge of the desert, zone 5 or Sunset 3. I have good irrigation water at my disposal using underground sprinklers.

I purchased some boxwood - True Dwarf Boxwood - Buxus sempervirens suffruticosa.

I want to make a very small, easy caring for parterre garden by my entry way. It would be no more than about 15 feet long by about 4-6 feet wide. The boxwood would edge it.

What easy care plantings should I put inside? I've heard of bulb parterre gardens - is it possible to plant a season to season variety (what kind) of bulbs that wouldn't need to be lifted and still look good, thus achieving an easy and carefree parterre garden?

This would be in full sun with a south facing wall as wind protection with a concrete walkway on one side of the boxwood and lawn on the other.

If not bulbs, can you give ideas for care free perennials that would do?

I'm on a budget, if that makes a difference!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parterre garden help

I don't think the topiary forum is the right place for this question. It really a question of which perennials, or bulbs can withstand drying wind and soil conditions. Being near a desert I would suppose the conditions would be semi-arid. Look around your neighborhood or the people in your town for examples of plant materials. Are bulbs common? If so, chances are it will thrive.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here