Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Standard Bay tree.

Posted by outdoorman lincolnshire (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 03 at 10:08

I have a bay tree with a single stem and want to make the top into a ball shape. At what height do I stop it's upward growth and how do I make it into this shape?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Standard Bay tree.

Hi- I have a bay standard that I started as a single stem also. It is about 7 years old and 4' tall in a pot with about a 16" ball. I was told to cut the main stem when it reached the height that I wanted then gradually trim up the stem leaving the leaves/side shoots that I wanted to form the ball. Also, keep cutting the suckers that come up from the soil. Once the side shoots start growing at the top of the stem, trim to shape the ball.

Hope that helps! I love my bay but we have a love-hate relationship. Every year I have to deal with scale on the plant but I can't bear to give up on it!

Michelle

o

Michelle,
I too have a bay I'd like to train. Please tell me the size of the pot your tree is growing in & where do you keep the tree during winter - North or south window?

Thanks
Ianna

o

Hi Ianna-

My bay tree is in a 12" pot. Its been in that sized pot for quite some time. I try to freshen the soil every year when I bring it outside in the late spring. I always bring the pot inside in the fall as the temps get colder. Usually when frost warnings start.

I don't get enough southern exposure in this house so the plant stays in a western window through the winter. We will be moving soon and I plan to put it in a southern window when the time comes.

Hope that helps!

Michelle

o

Hi, Can any-one please give me some advice on 'Topiary '?
I have a very big Bay tree growing in my garden, in the earth, not a pot. I would love to cut it into a Peacock shape. Firstly, is this shape possible for a Bay ? If so, what do I do ?
With thanks to any-one who can help me,
Allie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here