Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Topiary Horse

Posted by fernsk z2 Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 11:31

I purchased a topiary horse [wire filled with moss] at our local Garden show in april and am about to pick him up. He is about 2-3 ft tall and 3-3.5 ft long - real cute. He already has some plants in him - all succulents. I thought that I would like to add some to his legs - does anyone have experience with this type of topiary?

Thanks for any suggestions

Fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Topiary Horse

You could plant creeping fig to grow up his legs.

o

Thanks for the idea of the creeping / climbing plant - I had to replant "Ed's" back with Hens & chicks because he had a tiny fernlike plant that didn't like the HEAT in my back yard - now his mane and tail [Ice plant] are flowering - it is really awesome

Fern

o

The creeping fig is only good to 28'F, so try looking around at local native plants that always do better with less care than imports. Mosses work well under bellies, succulents in the sun,work with what came out of a local ditch - just find similar situations of what your plants will be enduring in your garden and apply.the bottoms of legs are always wet, so try a wet footed plant just to be different. Gotta have fun sometime, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here