Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Espalier --- liliacs?

Posted by Cwant zone 4b Ottawa (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 04 at 11:40

I have a chain link fence that I have been babying a wisteria along (never flowered for me...grrr). This past winter it finnally died.

But driving amongst the neighbourhood and seeing all the beautiful liliacs in bloom I was struck by the seemingly brilliant idea, could I espalier a liliac along my back fence?...rather a "poor man's wisteria"...?

I have no topiary or espalier experience...is such a thing possible?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Espalier --- liliacs?

It's an interesting idea and it could be possible although how it will perform is another question.

o
RE: Espalier --- liliacs?

I too have been attempting an espalier, but with pyracantha, and in my zone 5 yard, the pyracantha dies back to snow level each year, and wisteria is borderline here as well. But, I think we should be able to use anything that blooms on old wood that is hardy for our area and spur prune it to shape. I would actually use some ornamental crabs, but the deer would like the buffet a little too much. I'm thinking of some upright cotoneasters or ribes speciosum, maybe lonicera nitida or maybe whatever I can find that will fit the critera of hardy, old wood bloomer.
If you decide on the lilac let me know how it goes, it will likely sucker if you are cutting it back very much.
Any of you more experienced growers out there, please let us know what you use. Thanks Shel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here