Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transforming a red bud into a multi-stem 'bush'

Posted by flabbycat Z6a OhioUSA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 15:22

I have a red bud tree that is about 12 feet high and has a two inch diameter trunk. I want to cut it down and encourage the shoots to form a multiple trunk bush. I found a Google Book that has a good description of how to prune the sprouts. I'm not sure what time of year I should cut the tree or how close to the ground I should cut it. I'm tempted to cut it now leaving a foot or so and mist the bark to encourage sprouts. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transforming a red bud into a multi-stem 'bush'

This probably won't help because I suspect you want to do this for landscaping reasons and not amusement...

I think this would be easy if you started with a baby tree although I think the end result would be unhealthy, unsightly, and need to be heavily pruned often to maintain "bush height." Unlike many other trees masquerading through urban yardscapes as shrubs, redbud is not prone to suckering. I think what you would end up with is a constant battle with something that ends up looking and acting like a southern crepe myrtle in the care of an old-school gardener. In case you've never visited the south in the winter, the 2nd pic down at this link will show you what I mean. They do this to the trees at the bank across the street from me and when they grow back, they look like lollipops and don't flower much. Crepe myrtles often don't survive this pruning. A tree that is not naturally succeptible to suckering can not be made into a shrub. It may or may not be able to grow new branches at the decapitation point. One missed pruning and it will get top-heavy and unstable.

Unfortunately, the only practical solution to having a tree in the wrong spot is to remove it and replace it with something more appropriate in size or shape or whatever is bothering you about the 12-ft. redbud.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here