Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallis104

What to Plant in Outside Topiary Frame???

wallis104
20 years ago

Hi There - this is our first summer at our newly purchased home on the water. I purchased a beautiful heron topiary frame...... The artist said to fill with moss... and plant with creeping fig.

Being a "novice" (an extremely generous description).... I took the frame to a well known "upscale" gardening business. The owner said most type of vines would fill in very slowly.... She suggested (and sold me) a trumpet vine... after investigating here... I decided against using it.

Would love any suggestions you may have........

thanks much - janice

Comments (5)

• ianna
    20 years ago

Lots, use a variety of sedums instead. Use a variety of hens and chicks for interest. Lots of great looks and even less watering needs.

If that doesn't work for you -- Line the frame with moss and fill up with potting soil. punch in holes and plant different types of flowers - like a hanging basket. If not flowers, use mondo grass. If not grass, use ferns, how about herbs like chives, oregano, mint, thyme, etc., --

If vines are what your really want, use morning glory or black eye susans, or even some jasmin vines, or clematis.

hope this helps.

Ianna

• wallis104
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Ianna - Thank you so much for all of your wonderful ideas... I'm going to "research" your suggestions.... lol... will probably have a difficult time making a final decision.

Again, I appreciate your time and creativity....

janice

• schoolhouse_gw
    20 years ago

Why would that person suggest trumpet vine? For a topiary? I have virtually no experience with topiary, but a trumpet vine would go crazy and totally wipe out the heron effect. Wouldn't the bloom of any vine distract?
    Unless, it was myrtle, which has blue flowers in Spring and dark green foliage. hmmmmmm.

• wallis104
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You know - I wondered myself.... after I got home.... I decided that it was "not" the look I had in mind.... but thought I would plant the vine and it would be a pretty addition to the yard.

Thank goodness I happened on a Post here about trumpet vine.... 90% posters have "nightmare" stories about how it takes over the yard... lol - one woman said they only way she got rid of it was to move......

• ianna
    20 years ago

Hi! Always glad to assist. I'm more keen about using sedums for these types of topiaries because it doesn't require as much watering and because they are very attractive. At a garden show I attended earlier this year I saw some examples of topiaries filled with all types of sedums and also recently saw examples of it in magazines. Also, there was an example of a wreath made out of nearly 30 different types of succulents.

As for trumphet vines for topiaries -- I believe I've seen them before used as such, but more as a wreath type of topiary. Still as in any plant that tends to grow wild, it requires a lot of pruning to hold it back.

Ianna

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company