Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree form Buddlea

Posted by twizzler z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 02 at 21:51

I've seen photos in magazines of Buddleas that have been prunned to look like small ornamental trees (with about 4 foot tall trunks that are about 1 inch in diameter and a spray of green foliage at the top). I've never grown Buddlea but was just given a cutting from a friend. Can anyone tell me how to prune to obtain this effect and if it is difficult to achieve?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree form Buddlea

Two years ago, I did this to two of my Buddleas, just find the straigtest longest cane that is as close to the middle as possible. Get a long bamboo pole (I used bamboo and rebar for strength, Hold your breath and cut back all other canes to the base, then push the stake(s) as close to the plant as you can, tie the cane you selected to the bamboo after removing all side leaves. As this grows, continue pinching all side shoots until it gets the height you want (one of mine is almost 6 feet tall, the other is about 4' tall, then you pinch out the center growth bud. It will then send out all the side shoots. I then planted ivy to grow up the stake. I was told that buddlea canes die after about 3 years, so this year I let a new cane growfrom the bottom, normally I would pinch them all off, and I am tying it up alongside the original one, pinching side shoots as described above. I can then cut down the other one if it looks like it isn't producing, but it looks great this year again. Sort of like a tall umbrella. It was quite easy. Every year in late winter when I am cutting back my buddleas, I cut this one back at the top, cutting all the green growth to the hard wood that has formed 6 feet up. Pretend that the top is at ground level and do what you normally do about pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here