Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants for topiary in full shade?

Posted by Gale 3/4 NW ONT (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 01 at 22:52

I would love to have a potted topiary in a med. size pot that will grow approx. 3-4 ft. high.
Are there any plants that will tolerate full shade?
I'm not picky if it's hardy or not, as I am willing to overwinter indoors, as nothing will overwinter in a pot in my climate anyway.
I'm also willing to move the pot in the sun for a few hours per day, if that will give me a better chance of getting it to grow well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx a Bunch, Gale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants for topiary in full shade?

Gale,
It sounds as though you will have to do ivy topiaries. These will grow well in outdoor shade and move inside for the winter with ease. The very small leafed needlepoint ivy makes a wonderful topiary. You could also use creeping fig in the same manner. Do not be discouraged if it takes several years to 'shape up'. This plant can be slow getting started the first year.

o

• Posted by Gale 3/4 NW ONT (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 16, 01 at 8:27

Thanks for your reply Nandina! It's greatly appreciated!

Ivy sounds great! I was thinking, if I construct a wire ball on top and plant moss in it, it will be a bit more "pleasing to the eye" until the ivy takes off? I have alot of moss in my wooded area of the yard and will also grow well in the shade. Should I plant ivy on the top and bottom?

I have been admiring topiaries for years and finally want one of my own!

o

I saw a site on Ivy Topiaries, I think it was ivydesignsinc.com, I think I'm not sure, they had a ton of ideas and a contact as well.

o

My daughter lives in an apt complex 2 story high and she would like a topiary for outside her door which is all open but never any sun. I guess you could say outdoor hallways. She lives in Irvine ,Ca. I read you suggest Ivy any other suggestions? Thanks for your help, Ed Maccone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here