Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2b_gw

espalier of tree

flora2b
18 years ago

Here is a picture of my espaliered apple tree. It is now 3 years old and I am hopeful that it will bear fruit next year. I just love this technique.

{{gwi:1300219}}

Comments (9)

• ianna
    18 years ago

It's so beautiful. In fact, looks perfect. Thanks for sharing it. I wish we had more people doing the same.

• lzygrdner
    18 years ago

Wow, I am trying to do the same thing with my tree. what are you using to trellis it? It looks beautiful, by the way.

Harriet

• janlor
    18 years ago

Did you make the espallier form? I know, generally, it can be done with wire wrapped around screws drilled in the wall. Yours looks like copper pipe. How tall was it when you started? It's beautiful!
    Jan

• flora2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The form I used to trellis the tree is made from 1/2" copper water pipe, I just drew up a design that I wanted the tree to be and figured out the angles, then my father showed me how to cut and weld it together....thank goodness no water needs to run through those pipes!
    I then polished the copper and sprayed it with a clear sealant. Don't ever have to worry about rot!
    Thanks for the lovely comments.
    flora2b

• flora2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Janlor... I missed part of your question in my reply. The tree was 2 year old nursery stock about 4' tall. I cut it off at about 18" before it began budding out (just take a big gulp and go for it!). I let three branches grow, training them as they grow. In summer I cut the three branches back, the horizontals about 1.5' and the vertical branch at the next level. I hope I have answered you question.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Flora,

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing the pic.

• wyndyacre
    18 years ago

Here's a photo of my espaliered apple tree-a Golden Delicious. I bought it in the bargain bin for $7.00 one fall after examining it and discovering it already had several sets of branches that were "paired" up. I pruned any branches not wanted and the leader off and planted it and pruned the "keepers" back. It is now 3 years old.
    The framework is cable, strung between two 3" square wooden posts cemented into the ground, with the top rail being copper pipe for added sturdiness (and also decorative)
    It will help shade my greenhouse in the summer months and drop its leaves in the winter to allow sun thru. It has born a small amount of fruit since the first year of planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Espaliered Apple Tree

• wyndyacre
    18 years ago

Try this instead...it's in the album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Espaliared Apple Tree

• hookilau
    17 years ago

wonderful pictures!

I am in the process of training my pepper plants in the same manner. I plan to overwinter them in my basement like I did last year and hope to have a container grown pepper tree like the first picture.

I originally used a store bought trellis but my plant has outgrown it. I planned to make a bamboo trellis this weekend to train my plants that are enjoying they're second season. Though I only have 3 second season plants, I hope to be able to refer to them as trees next season.

I have 30 some odd other plants that I am letting run wild this season to overwinter. Next season they should be ready for training and hopefully the season after, I will be able to allow them to fruit.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer