Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender topiary?

Posted by tapewormmaki z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 04 at 11:16

Is it possible to make a lavender topiary? It seems to me that it grows a little like rosemary only more out from the nodes above existing leaves and less from terminal buds. What it the bes lavender to use and how could I overwinter it. I can't overwinter rosemary succesfully so I hope it's nothing like that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender topiary?

Most aren't suited for topiaries but there are the spanish types that I've seen developed as a standard. However, I have no information how well these plants will survive. Normally spanish types will not survive the winter in zone 5.

o

Could i keep one in a shed that's cold but frost-free?

o

I truly don't know. My munsteads which are not suited for topiaries (unless a simple ball shape is considered one) requires sun exposure during winter. But munsteads are very hardy and can withstand minus 20-30 C temps.

Incidentally while checking my favourite herb supplier for an answer to this question, I discovered that what I call spanish lavender here in Canada is also known as french lavender in the US and vice-versa. Both types are tender perennials in our zone. I have the impression that they are greenhouse types requiring steady temps but not cold. I saw these plants in a greenhouse along with the bay trees and other tender herbs. I don't believe they were overwintered outdoors or elsewhere. Perhaps what you can do is to do a search on both french and spanish lavenders and seek answers to their overwintering needs.

o

English Ivy, Boxwood, Lavander,creeping fig and rosemary are some of the best plants to train into ornamental topiary forms using the green plastic coated steel wire Topiary Frames

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here