Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Margurite Topiary help

Posted by dunsmoir MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 12:22

I have a topiary with a Marguerite. It has passed it's first bloom and is looking rather bald and sad. Any suggestions for boosting blooms. I have been feeding it with a regular organic fertilizer for flowers and vegetables. I am a fan of Jerry Baker "the Impatient Gardener" with his home remedies. His solution for keeping annuals flowering is to add wine to the fertilizer because wine has flowering hormone in it. Problem is, we don't use wine so I don't have any.

Any other home remedies I can try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Margurite Topiary help

Just wondering if you pinched it back to encourage new growth? And also when it was repotted. If it has been growing strongly for a while - it may have become pot-bound. Any roots emerging from the drainage holes? If yes, may need tapping out, root pruning and replacing in fresh mix. No feeds for a month at least - just water and keep protected from strong winds/midday sun.

They seem to flower on this season's growth so it makes sense to keep pinching out to encourage that growth - and pause to let the buds form, too...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here