Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
funky mid-century look poodle conifer topiary--suggestions?

Posted by elsieCat z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 04 at 12:24

HI--I want to do one of these, containerized (*big* container) for our front entry...you know, the kind that has nude branches reaching out at interesting angles to poofs of evergreen...

What are some good relatively tiny (not over 10',but over 3') size conifer-type plants to do this with?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: funky mid-century look poodle conifer topiary--suggestions?

Ah, you're talking about the technique called "cloud pruning."

Have never done anything in that style (being a geometric topiary kind of person), but David Joyce in his book "Topiary and the Art of Training Plants" says that a favorite for cloud pruning is the Chinese juniper (Juniperus chinensis), although other junipers and (mainly) coniferous trees and shrubs can be used.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth

o
RE: funky mid-century look poodle conifer topiary--suggestions?

THANK YOU!!! That would be it! I'll look it up immediately.

I'd been investigating other 'cloud' pruned conifers, and I figured they were junipers, but now I have a specific to head toward...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here