Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would this work?

Posted by deb18 z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 12:41

I've just become interested in topiary and have been looking at instructions for making topiary deer on the net. Could I just place them in a flower bed, plant ivy in the ground at each leg, and train it to cover them without stuffing the frame with anything?

Also, instead of wire frames, could the Christmas grapevine deer be used instead? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would this work?

The main reason to stuff the frames is to give the ivy something to connect with - roots and sticky patches. If you were to leave the ivy to scramble you'd have to tie in each piece.

I'm wondering if something such as Lonicera nitida would be a better choice than ivy if you want to plant it directly. It will grow through a frame and spread out, may grow more quickly for you, back-buds pretty well - and has the plus of being small-leaved which may give you better definition for your proposed topiary as you prune and shape.

o
RE: Would this work?

Thanks! The Lonicera sounds like a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here