Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP pruning 'Candleabra' Espalier

Posted by Wildwest Zone 3a Edm AB (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 04 at 13:31

Hi everyone,

for several years I have been working on a candelabra espalier which I created from a young Cotoneaster shrub (used for hedging). It has been a slow but fun process.
This spring I decided to cut off the top of each branch to the same level which in hindsight I regret. By doing this, I had to retrain a side shoot to become the new leader which was time consuming. I have never done this before so am trying to learn as I go. Here is a picture:

Is it possible to encourage leaves to grow on the bark where there are no leaves (mostly on the inside frame)? How can I encourage a "bud" to form (by making some type of cut)? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a close-up of the area I would like to encourage leaf growth:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP pruning 'Candleabra' Espalier

You are desribing a slight cut placed directly after a young bud, just deep enough so that the nutrients will go into the immature bud instead of going into the top of hte plant. A sort of diversion of nutrients. But the bud must exist before this can work out. You cannot utilize this technique on a branch where there are no leave or buds. It's quite tricky.

I have to say though, that if you trimmed off hte top of your beautiful candelabra, a side branch can easily be trained as the leader and in not time it will not be discernable that you've nipped off the top. I can see from your photos that you did this correctly. When your plant reaches the height you want, you can again nip off the tips, which will encourage the branches to thicken (and leaf out).

Hope that helps.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here