Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbrattheoriginal

woman topiary

gardenbrat
19 years ago

I just finished a garden lady topiary which I made out of chicken wire and tomato cages. I dressed her up with purbple bow and red hat for a red hat luncheon that I had yesterday. I am not really good at posting pictures so I will give the link and hope it works. The next two pictures after that are also of the topiary.

Here is a link that might be useful: topiary garden lady

Comments (2)

• Weedyone
    19 years ago

Well, don't stop there. Tell us more. What did you use for the fill. How solid is this "lady"? What did you plant in it so far?

Nice job.

• gardenbrat
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. I started with the skirt by cutting two large tomato cages and wiring them together to form a large skirt hoop. I then covered the cages with chicken wire.
    I covered the chicken wire from the inside with wet spaghnum moss. I then cut out a circle of chicken wire for the bottom and of the skirt and put some sphagnum moss on it and attached it to the bottom of the skirt. I placed the skirt where I was going to put the topiary permanently and emptied bags of top soil with some potting soil inside the skirt until I filled it up to the top ring of the tomato cages. I then bent the prongs of the tomato cages to form a teepee and wired the ends.

The torso was made with chicken wire that I had molded unto a dress form that I have and then removed and seamed in the back with wire. I also placed wet spaghnum moss in the inside to adhere to the chicken wire. And placed the torso on top of the tomato cages teepee. I put some more soil inside the torso from the neck in. The arms were long rectangles of chicken wire rolled into a tube and then stuffed completely with spaghnum moss and each arm was attached by wire to the shoulders of the torso. It was kind of sewing a sleeve on.

The head is just one of those styrofoam wig heads that have necks and a little bit of shoulder. I glued moss all over the head and inserted the shoulder part into the torso.

Although I have temporarily anchored it. I think I am going to have to remove the torso and run a stake through the skirt to anchor it securely. She is right by the hillside and wouldn't want it to tumble down the cliff.

Since I was using her for a Red Hat Society Luncheon, I planted her skirt with wandering jew. Her torso is planted with hens and chicks. Eventually I will plant her skirt with something permanent that will survive the winter such as sedum. Her head and arms will not be planted.

I still may play with her a little to give her more character. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am waiting to find just the right large garden hat to get for her.

I hope this all makes sense. It's one of those things that you kind of figure out as you go along.

I do show another topiary lady in my Webshots folder above as well as a turtle one.

Maggie

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living