Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_7

Spiral ornamentals

Lori - 7
23 years ago

Does anyone know how to cut an evergreen such as an arborvatie into a spiral design? It is the formal look that I need but they are so expensive that I thought to cut one myself out of a standard taller evergreen. Can someone provide me with any information on how to do this or recommend any books that may show this? I can not find any how to on this type of topiary. T.I.A.

Comments (9)

• tony - 8b - Vancouver
    23 years ago

I too am thinking of spiralling some of my Cedrus, but I think Arborvitae (aka Thuja occidentalis) my be too loose and not full enough to give it proper shape. I think you need a hedge plant that is more compact than some of the more common Arborvitaes. Perhaps yours is a very compact growing variety.

I saw a show once on PBS about 4 years ago about a self taught topiary artist who used nothing but a 16inch chainsaw. He would literally carve out his shapes, not unlike ice sculptures, in a matter of minutes. Granted the more he carved out the more the exposed dead wood showed, but it all grows back.

He was not some hack that had nothing better to do. His designs were displayed in a garden of about 4 or 5 acres, and he has won awards for his topiaries. Not just small ones, but big 10 foot and more specimens. Plus PBS showed him on TV, so he must have a good reputation.

He even demonstrated a spiral topiary in front of the camera, and used his chainsaw to shape it in about 2 minutes.

Maybe there is some inspiration there for you. good luck. If you do proceed. Let us know how it turns out.

I think this is a new forum on the Garden Web. Not much action here.

• kari
    23 years ago

Have you had any luck with this so far? I would like to do this as well. I wondered if it could be done and have no experience in this area.
    TIA-Kari

• kaye
    23 years ago

Lori ,
    I had never done this before and the first one I saw I thought I had to have it till he said $178.00.I then went to another nursery looking and found that same kind of tree unsculpted for 38.00.I brought it home and sit down in front of it and begin to trim from the bottom in a spiral.I first did just enought to show an indention.When that looked good I got more confidence at this point.I begin to cut in same places only deeper into the tree till I was satisfied with the way it looked. Spiral grows with the tree but you do have to keep trimming during grow period but you know right where to trim without designing again.You can take a string and spiral around the tree to start with too and it gives you an idea where to cut.Sit tree out away from anything so you can get all around it easy which you'll do looking at it as you cut.Try it you'll love doing this.Beware everybody will want you to do one for them!!
    Kaye

• mark
    23 years ago

Lori,

If you have a tall plant you want to prune into a spiral try taking two strips of ribbon and tie them to the top of the plant. Spiral the ribbon down and around the plant and tie off at the bottom. This will give your a fixed prunning guide. Just trim outside the ribbon path or train the growth outside the path towards the inside with stiff wire. Sorta like bonsia training.

Hope this helps

Mark Ritchie

• Rachel M
    23 years ago

Does anyone know how to make your lucky bamboo spiral???

• denise zambeck
    23 years ago

I don't know when & how to prune plumbago. I heard earl spring which makses sense, Do you just sheer the tops off of just lightly rake pulling out what dead plant stems that come with the raking or am I totally off track? Also, does anyone know anything about a "gardening school" in Michigan. Thanks to all who respond & happy spring!

• Simetra
    22 years ago

i'm a complete newbie, but i read somewhere that spiraling lucky bamboo is done by turning it so it grows towards a light source and then adjusting it periodically so the growth forms a spiral. not sure i explained that well...from what i remembered, it took quite some time to do...

sim

• Ruva
    21 years ago

I have three lucky bamboo and the shoots are growing out. Is it possible for me to cut off the shoots and grow them into spiraling bamboo? Should I cut them in a special way? Is anyone trying out Sim's suggestion to see if it works? Thanks all.
    Ruva

• bonsai_audge
    21 years ago

I think that spiralling bamboo so it grows in funky curvy shapes is down by literally tying/attaching somehow the branch to a drum which gives it its spiral shape. In Taiwan, they have thousands of those at local flower markets.

-Audric

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction