Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miquelyn_gw

Alternatives to ivy for indoor topiary

miquelyn
23 years ago

I've just succeeded in killing off my second ivy topiary. While I love the look of ivies I can't seem to keep them alive. What other indoor plants might I try on a ball topiary stand? I'm looking for a vining plant that is less tempermental than an ivy. Also are all ivies created equally? I've seen several different types of small ivies in our local stores and I'm wondering if some may be more forgiving than others. Thanks, Mique

Comments (13)

• nandina
    23 years ago

Purchase a small-leafed ivy. Take it out of the pot, remove all soil from the roots and then give in a good once over under a heavy stream of cool running water. This will remove one or more of several small mites that infect ivy. Take your time with the washing process, it will not hurt the ivy. Now, repot in a new or sterilized pot using good purchased potting soil. Keep it watered carefully. Do not saturate. Stand in a bright light. No need to fertilize until spring. If leaves begin to brown and drop off, again wash it carefully with a strong spray while still in the pot. Ivy is still one of the best plants to use for indoor topiary.

• Nancy Plomaritis
    23 years ago

Hi,

I had the same problem with mites infecting the roots. This is why they aren't working for you. Ivy is pretty hardy...so following the above directions will work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Live Ivy Topiary

• liz
    23 years ago

I saw a great inspiration for an indoor succulent plant topiary. If you have one, or find one, a string of hearts plant (Ceropegia woodi) it grows long lengths of very small leaves and also makes pinkish/purple flowers - it grows in bright dry conditions unlike typical ivy. I'd send you a start but unfortunately I'm attempting to root cuttings at home with not much success. HTH.

• liz
    23 years ago

If the string of hearts is about the same as a rosary vine I'm off to give it a shot! I've had the plant a while and I was wondering what on earth I was going to do with it. For some reason when I had it hanging it got forgotten and thirsty!
    So great idea. Thanks so much. Love the forum.

Liz

• liz
    23 years ago

Hummm. ... I went home after reading this (made my rosary vine into a topiary - looks fine) Then my eyes fell on a china doll......... Has anyone attempted using one of these? Seems like it might work well enough.

Liz

• liz
    23 years ago

Hummm. ... I went home after reading this (made my rosary vine into a topiary - looks fine) Then my eyes fell on a china doll......... Has anyone attempted using one of these? Seems like it might work well enough without having it trained on wire?

Liz

• angel
    23 years ago

Liz,

What do you mean a china doll?

• liz
    23 years ago

I suppose getting it bushy enough might be hard. Just a thought.

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: China Doll

• Lexus
    22 years ago

I also have managed to kill 2 of my beautiful indoor ball topiaries. I would water them alot, but they still did not come back to life. Oh well, guess I'll have to buy more!

What is the basic care for them?

• janelle
    22 years ago

I have ivy wreaths in my home and the leaves are turning black and then dying i'm not sure what is going on. ??? can anyone help??

• Seska_Vedek
    20 years ago

Where do you live in the country? I am in midwest and I have been trying to find the rosary plant or string of hearts online and having no luck. Can you point me in the the right direction?

• ianna
    20 years ago

You know rosemary topiaries are great to see, but do you know rosemary plants are particularly difficult to keep indoors? They are prone to mildew and spider mites so beware. They don't like overwatering and need to be in good sunlight and good air circulation.

Ianna

• nandina
    20 years ago

Let me return to this question and ask you all to try an experiment for mites and mealy bugs on indoor topiaries and other house plants. I have, for two years, been running all sorts of experiments using cornmeal. You may have stumbled over some of my postings on the subject here on GW. Please try the following....Sprinkle cornmeal rather heavily on the surface soil of any potted plants you have in the house that are infected with mealy bugs or mites. Be patient for a few months, watching the treated plants. Does your insect problem disappear? Please give this a try and report your observations.

Sponsored