Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon ----any exciting topiary ideas?

Posted by Yellowhair z7-KY (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 03 at 1:12

I have several Rose of Sharons and I love them all, but sometimes I think I'd like a more defined topiary look.

I saw some at my local Lowe's that had the bare trunks up 3/4 of the way and a lollipop-type top. I'm in the process of doing some of these.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon ----any exciting topiary ideas?

I actually have not trained this Hibiscus as topiary but I can see the possibility that it could be trained like the one you have already seen.

If your plant has reached the height that you desire I would simply pinch out the growing tip and remove the side branches but leave sufficient side branches near the top. This plant responds well to trimming so in no time at all wa-lah Hibiscus Topiary. Now you see you even got me going. LOL.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

a friend of mine used a volunteer that had two branches that formed a 'y', she bent and tied then into a heart shape. It's been a few years and that little shrub is beautiful.

o

Thanks for the suggestions! I have some smaller ROS that I can train, I hope to do some this spring.

o

I have TONS of these plants that I grew for hte purpose of topiary - I will let you know what creative ideas I come up with!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here