Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilly Pilly losing leaves

Posted by kristyw Queensland (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 7:08

Hi everyone

I would appreciate some advice on my lilly pilly. When I bought it about a month ago, the tag said that it was an indoor plant and did not need any sunlight. I have been watering it every second day but the leaves have steadily become more dull and is losing leaves. At first, it was just a few, but now it is dropping them at a steady rate. Could this be because they want sunlight? Any advice would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilly Pilly losing leaves

Is it a Syzygium or a Eugenia - and what sort?

Most of them are 'full sun or part shade' plants so some sunlight each day would be an idea. Start with morning sun - somewhere it won't get too hot because it won't be hardened off at all. Have you got a porch you could put it on? Or under a garden tree that lets dappled light through.

You might be overwatering, too. If it is drying out really quickly between waterings - it might need repotting - and possibly some root pruning if it has run wild in the pot. If it's OK, then put it up on feet in the protection saucer so the surplus water can drain away and air can get to the roots. Wait until the soil feels dry as deep down as the first joint on your finger - then water thoroughly. If the pot is not too big - put it into a bucket of water and wait for the bubbles to stop - but get it out within ten minutes, and let it drain before putting it back on its feet.

And some of it could also be 'changing leaves' for spring. A lot of the evergreens do a leafdrop around now.

Another possible is being in a cold draught. Easy-fix, that one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here