Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnid_gw

beginner

cnid
15 years ago

I would like to try to sculpt some evergreens (junipers and pines). The kind you see at the nursery that looks a bit like bonsai but with larger trees. Usually about 5-10 branches, kind of contorted, with sort of a pom-pom at the end of the branch. What is that called?

I've been searching on the net and am having trouble narrowing down terms that will show me what I want. I AM LOOKING FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO IT (not JUST pictures). I tried searching this site but don't even know what to call it. I have attached a link that has a picture of what I would like to do.

http://www.plantsbeautifulnursery.com/

I am pretty sure the kind I want to do is NOT the kind with frames (I learned something this morning).

What I need is ideas for search terms, ideas for sites and books that will guide me through how to do this. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

If you've searched the net for "instruction on creating artistic topiary from pine trees and juniper" and have come up with nothing, I bet a trip to your local library might help you find books on topiary. Or, a book store where they may assist you in finding an instruction book that they can order for you. Another good source is a used book store, altho older gardening books get snatched up quickly.

I have limited experience with juniper - an Irish Juniper that I keep in a columnar shape and an older Juniper hedge that I'm currently trying to create a big block shape, with a smaller block on top, then a ball on top of that, at the very end of the hedge; so have no real tips to share. Other than - ouch. Those dead and dying needles are killers if you don't clean up the trimmings before they become dry and brittle!ha.

Did you notice the video on that Plants Beautiful Nursery site, the one where the bonsai expert is trimming the pine tree? It's a very short video but interesting.
    I know that when I've trimmed the tips of the branches of white pines trees at my house, the rest of the branch tends to die.

• cnid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I searched what you suggested. Just the same little bonsai trees. I played around though, and tried YARD BONSAI, which gave some results. Getting closer but still don't have an idea of clear instructions or a good book. I can't stream video because I am on dial-up.

Thanks for tip re cleaning up - makes a difference.

I got some cheap mugo pines and I am going to play with them and see what happens. I am more interested in sculpting the trunk and branches than getting little pom-poms on top. So I won't be trimming the tips/candles much. I guess the only thing to do is experiment with a $5 tree.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Did you check at your library for books on the subject?

If you won't be trimming the tops of the juniper and only the trunk like you say, I feel you'd be safe in just clipping and pruning away any side branches you don't want, leaving two or three main trunks or how ever many you wanted. I don't see how you could kill a juniper in this way as long as you leave some foliage. Will you be working on large existing shrubs (which to me would be easier) or young potted ones? I think your idea to experiment on a $5 tree is a good one.

• cnid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Probaby play with cheap young ones, esp since I have no established trees to work on. I was wondering about cutting out too many side branches, and how you tell if you are going too far. Probably won't trim tips much - I like them wild.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert