Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelinaw_gw

fruit tree standard suggestions

angelinaW
19 years ago

I would like to grow some 6'-8' high standards in half wine barrels. I know that I could do citrus, but what other fruit trees would work in this form? I was thinking of trying pommegranate trees, or dwarf fig trees, but I can't find any information on whether or not these would work.

So if you have any ideas please let me know!

Thanks,

Angelina.

Comments (4)

• ianna
    19 years ago

Pommegranate can be made into a standard. It's got multiple branches - could be an attractive plant when it fruits. However, I don't know if this plant can grow as tall as 6' - let along 8'. I suspect to grow anything that tall may require a larger container.

As for figs, I don't have enough experience to know if they can be pruned as standards. Most I've seen are rather columnar in shape. Unless of course, you consider their cousins, the tropical ficus plants which can definitely work as standards although are not fruit trees.

If apples and pears do well in your zone, they are good candidates for containers.

• angelinaW
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't need the standards to be so tall. I really like the idea of pommegranates because the flowers are so showy and the fruits are really pretty as well. Plus I like to eat the fruit.

I'd be interested in apples and pears (there are quite a few varieties that do really well here), but would they really be able to be shaped into a standard? I'd like that a lot. I'm espaliering some on my fence.

I was thinking the fig wouldn't be a good candidate...just dreaming about finding a place for figs in my yard.

Thanks again,
    Angelina.

• ianna
    19 years ago

It's been a while since I visited this forum so please forgive the delay in my response.

Apples can be standardized however given that this is a tree that tends to be susceptible to mildew I would think that perhaps it may not be that suitable as a standard. That's because in standards, you aim to group branches closer together giving a nice tight feel to it - and that could only result in mildew. Apples like to have lots of room to grow fruit. So now that I have thought it out. It may not be a good idea.

As for pears though. It should be okay.

Fig as a standards - i've never seen but that shouldn't stop you from looking into other shapes that will suit the plant. Perhaps it will work well as a cordon? (similar to an espalier)

How about tropical fruit plants like guava? Will that do well in your climate?

• angelinaW
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, talk about not having checked in for a long time...I had no idea you responded again! Sorry about that.

I love the idea of pommegranate standards the best. After an good look at the area I wanted to put them I'm not confident that there's enough sunshine for any fruit. But I have another area I could arrange some pommegranate standards, so I might still do it.

Angelina.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County