Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellym_gw

Myrtle Topiary... HELP

Mellym
19 years ago

The leaves on my myrtle topiary have really dried up and the are starting to fall off. I'm really worried that i didn't water it enough and now it's dead. Is there any way i can bring it back to life?!?!? PLZ HELP ME

Comments (9)

• ianna
    19 years ago

I found out there's no indoor plant forum but there is a houseplant forum. However there isn't any information around concerning myrtle. I've even tried the www and have come up with nothing. Many times these plants are considered tender perennials. These are herbs as well - so why don't you contact a garden centre for assistance. I'm just not too familiar with how to take care of myrtles. (I'm assuming this is a German Myrtle).

Good luck.

• Mellym
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanx for all your help!!!

• herself
    19 years ago

I have Myrtle (roman) which I have had for years. I forgot about it & it dried out & leaves were falling off, etc. However, I watered it & trimmed off the small dead twigs & it came back. Took some time & a lot of careful pruning to get it into shape.

• Pam Honeycutt
    17 years ago

here's a site that might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrtle

• emilytree
    16 years ago

hmmm i have a few small topiary myrtles, and the first one i ever had died bcuz i was expecting it to be more drought resistant, i found once it dried out i couldnt bring it back, but if yours isnt too far gone you should be able to bring it back i hope. I find the trick with these is to have a water tray under the pot and keep a half centimeter of water in it if its a small pot and an inch if its a large pot.Its also good to use an easily drained, medium rich soil, a few tiny rocks help with the drainage. They also love humidity and like you said a lot of indirect sunlight. good luck!!

• mmayerct
    16 years ago

I have about 5 indoor myrtle topiary of various sizes. Here are some tips:
    I keep mine on a window sill with indirect light, over my sink. They are thirsty buggers. I water them about every 3-4 days. I put them right in my sink, run a stream of water, and then let them sit there and drain. Another way to know if they need water is when a few leaves start to curl a bit...but don't let it go too far!! Many curling leaves over the entire plant is trouble. I feed them miracle grow fertilizer diluted in water every 3-4 weeks. Each plant is staked for support and I trim them often, usually every 2 waterings. Yes, this is like caring for a pet! I find they are easily propagated. I just clip a small branch, put it in a small class of water for about a week, then stick it in a small container of potting soil. The small ones I water often, usually every 2 days. Good luck!

• sherry_ls53_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am trying to find a myrtle plant to buy but cannot find a supplier anywhere. I'd like the plant/or tree that blooms the white starlike flowers, if possible.
    Can anyone help me?
    Thanks so much and anxiously awaiting an answer.
    Sherry

• Freebird11
    12 years ago

Myrtle Topiary Care Instructions
    Light
    Keep this plant out of direct sunlight in the summer time. Part sun in winter is ok.
    Filtered sunlight is ideal but will tolerate low levels.
    Fertilizer
    Mild liquid fertilizer once every two to three weeks.
    Care
    Water thoroughly. Keep soil moist at all times. Do not put above fire place or near heaters. The plant will dry out quickly.
    Trim to maintain shape with sharp scissors.
    Features
    Seen in many decorating magazines.
    This topiary plant gives you instant home decor.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor