Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shaping rosemary

Posted by
Jill - NC
(jillrob@carolina.net) on
Wed, Oct 25, 00 at 3:00

Hi!

A professional nursery fellow once told me it was REALLY hard to shape a container rosemary into a Christmas tree shape. Has anyone had any luck with this? Any how-tos to offer?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shaping rosemary

Hi Jill,

No, I have never shaped Rosemary into a Christmas tree form. But, I know how I would do it. Actually, it was the two deer who got through my electric fence one night who taught me how to do this type of topiary. They chewed mine down to the stems and I learned that very tight pruning is the answer.
So, here is a suggestion for next year. As you know, Rosemary cuttings will easily root just tucked into the ground during the growing season. I would make a triangular form out of metal window screening. Set it on top of a large clay pot filled with a good draining soil mix. Now, set cuttings of the Creeping Rosemary (trailing form) around the base of the triangle. For a tree one foot tall I would use 20 cuttings. Secure growing stems to screen with a twist of fine brass wire available from hardware stores and keep all tightly pruned as it grows. This should work as I have been creating other forms with this technique.

For a regular Rosemary topiary that you may have, again, try tight pruning through the growing season. The secret is a lot of rooted cuttings. Do not rely on just one plant to do the job for you. If you wish to create a tree trunk then wrap or braid the stems around each other and keep new growth in that area pruned out.

I encourage you to work with the weeping form of Rosemary. It is far more adaptable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here