Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denae4

shaped Meserve Holly in Container

Denae4
22 years ago

I normally hang out in the rose end of the garden web forums, but I have a question I think you good folks can help me with.

I finished putting an old recycled brick path in my garden this summer and now I have a 3'x3' pad at the end of my path that I would like to put some sort of focal point on. My garden has lots of shrub roses and perennials in it and I have been wanting to incorporate some plants for year-round enjoyment. I think a fruiting holly that I can keep in a container at about the 6' height (not including the container) in a conical shape would be great expecially during the holidays. Hence, my questions:

I understand that Meserve hollies are the most cold tolerant type. Could you recommend one variety that would be best for my use. Do you think that these hollies can withstand being in a container in zone 6b? I would use one of those 2 layer plastic containers that I manuver...the decorative ones. I could probably also insulate the container when winter hit if I need to. Also, I understand that I would have to plant a male meserve holly in order to get fruit. I can do that somewhere else w/in my yard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deborah

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!