Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering topiary

Posted by sunnytop 5 Ne (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 14:36

I just got a steal at a local nursery sale...an alberta spruce topiary full grown. I am thinking of putting it in a pot and keeping it as a decoration in front of the garage, south facing. I am wondering if potted trees need more protection during the winter. Maybe I need to sink it into the ground for winter. I'd rather use it as decoration in front of the house if it would not hurt the roots during cold spells in the teens or lower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering topiary

For container gardening, assume you are two zones colder then you are. That is, if your spruce is hardy to zone 3 (which seems likely given its name), it should be fine in a container, as long as your container is winter hardy, too. (If it's in terra-cotta or ceramic, good chance the container won't last.)

To be sure though, can you put the container in another container and then insulate in between with mulch, soil, or styrafoam? Some of my iffy perennials have survived winter in their original containers with just covering the container in contractor bags (heavy-duty ply trash bags used by contractor -- can be found in Home DePot, Lowes, and the like), stuffed with old vegetation from last summers annuals, like tomato vines. Of course, I leave the top opened, to make sure they get some water during the winter.

I still would hope that folks will give you more answers, since I have no experience with large bushes and trees yet. Given that this forum is rarely visited/used, you might want to ask in the container gardening forum, a more active forum.

o
RE: overwintering topiary

Thank-you for your response. I did post on container gardening when I noticed the lack of traffic here. I got a brainstorm idea on my own. I buried it in my compost pile with leaves and garden waste all around the black plastic container. I think it should work great. For a potted clematis, I did like you did, put it in another container with styrofoam . Glad to hear that worked for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here