Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ivy topiary/indoor/potted/care????

Posted by brendasw z6 NJ/NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 02 at 15:10

Hi,
I just purchased two ivy topiaries for my bay window. I was told at store to keep them moist and make sure they get as much light as possible. Is there anything else I need to know? HElp...advice...I don't have a green thumb and I want to make sure they do well!
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ivy topiary/indoor/potted/care????

Rotate pots weekly to keep topes' growth symmetrical.
if you feel the need to feed use even numbered fertilizer.
Labels on foods show three numbers that comprise elements for different growth. You want balanced formula.
Apply food at half strength. Otherwise during the fall/winter months I usually forgoe the treats, and water when slightly dry.
Moist really means lightly damp.
If you keep plants constantly wet they will develop root rot over winter.
Also likely to attract and raise healthy flock of fungus gnats. Yes...they are as bad as they sound.
As far as training you have options. If frame is 'light' in vines you can let some trailers grow long enought to weave back into frame. If the frame is pleasingly plump with foliage just nip tips when they reach outside the box to hold shape.
Beware drastic pruning. Better to putter and inspect plants for browning/yellowing leaves every couple days. This will cut down on possible problems from getting out of hand.
Prevention is the best medicine.

bj

o
RE: ivy topiary/indoor/potted/care????

My hedra ivy was in a hanging basket outside. For a week it received 100 degree heat while I was out of town. It looks cooked! What should I do? Should I prune all the woody stems? Can Ivy grow on old wood?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here