Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to topiary or not to topiary? that is the question!

Posted by asturnut z6b NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 01 at 23:45

Helloooo!
This is my first time in this particular forum. Thought maybe you folks could help me out or point me in the right direction. GW has so many forums, sometimes it's hard to know where to post your question! (I also posted this ? in the 'garden junk' forum.)

I recently found some old rusty, iron heart-backed ice-cream parlor chairs out on the trash. I thought they would look really fantastic nestled in my garden somewhere, with plants trained to follow the outlines of the heart shapes. Was wondering if anyone could recommend plants that might be suitable for growing on iron in a morning sun/afternoon light-shade situation. I was thinking 'plain old' ivy would do nicely, but I wondered if there were any alternatives, or specific suggetions for a type of ivy for my situation.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to topiary or not to topiary? that is the question!

I'm sorry I can't recommend an ivy, other than to say that a small-leaved variety would look best. The heart-shaped backs will soon be overgrown, though (since they are not filled in, I am assuming that you want to trace the outline only) and you may find it a terrible amount of work to keep this looking the way you want. Consider a boxwood planted at the back of the seat. Take 2-6 leaders to trace the heart and maybe trim the rest to look like a throw pillow or bolster. You could fill in the entire seat with a moss, chamomile, thyme, or a trailing plant. Sounds like it might be cute.

o

I am thinking that the dark green leaves, deep pink very fragrant flowers
of Jasminum officinale would be a nice choice when you are out enjoying.
Plus the smell is heavenly.
Supannee

o

I was tickled to see your post. I did this with an old ice cream chair a couple of years ago. Removed the seat and used some chicken wire to make a 'bowl' in it's place. Lined the seat with moss, filled with potting mix and planted. I used a small leaf, varietaged ivy and added annuals for instant color. It's nestled under a family heritage maple and looks bright in an otherwise shady spot.

o

Here in Europe topiary tables, chairs and patio umbrellas are being comercially produced. The plant of choice seems to be Ligustrum.

o

Light annual vines might give your chair a boost - like Morning Glories? You could train one or two to climb around the wires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here