Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtal_gw

How long do wire frames last?

I'm a newbie here and figure that I've got one good topiary in me. I'd like to do a couple of horses, one possibly rearing or running. I figure that chicken wite is the best way to build up the body. I suppose I'd have to get the body welded to start considering that this may weighty. Does anyone know how long angle iron would last in that situation? Or how long any wire can be expected to last once it's completed and has ivy growing in it? How many years of enjoyment could I expect?

Any input you'd have would be appreciated.

Xtal

Comments (4)

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Are you thinking of doing a stuffed frame or doing something that is growing a shurb to cover it, and keeping the shrub trimmed to the shape? If you're going to grow something around it then it won't really matter. But some people make detachable frames so it can be removed once the plant has grown to the desired proportions.

I'm not sure how long a stuffed frame would last but it should be years. You could treat the wire with something like rostoleum.

MrBrownThumb

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As I figure that there is at least one or two good topiary tries in me, I wanted to make the effort worthwhile. I'd like to do several horses that I could put in the side yard. I'd probably need to stick with the type of frame that could be moved, too.

I hadn't thought about using Rustoleum, Mr. Brownthumb. Good idea!!

Being an artist has given me several ideas of things that I want to try. I guess it's just "doing it" now as Nike would say.

Xtal

• twogreysandamutt
    18 years ago

how long any wire can be expected to last once it's completed and has ivy growing in it? How many years of enjoyment could I expect?

Newbie here, but an idea of how long chicken wire might last. We fastened a cople of poles from chain link fencing on our house and stretched untreated chicken wire between to hold an englemann's ivy over 20 years ago. It is still good. It's on the north side of the house; I don't know if it would have lasted as well if we had put it on the south side.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Twogreys, brings up a good point. Chicken wire is used outdoors and lasts forever. Really the part you should be concerned with will be the part that of the wire that will be in contact with soil. As that will be moist a lot of the time. And once a plant like Ivy is old enough it will become woody and make it's own support. If you're doing it outside in the ground rebar (sp?) will probably be a good choice for the "skeleton" use chicken wire for the "skin". Or you could do it the old fashion way and just trim, trim, trim.

Aside from rostoleum I think there is a product that is like liquid rubber? I've seen it on television where people dip the ends of tools to make the grip bigger or they use a bright color so they don't lose it in the garden. May be something to look into? At least for whatever part will come in contact with moist soil.

MBT