Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jptgs1

It's bragging time! What's your tractor & length of ownership?

jptgs1
15 years ago

I have a Deere STX 5-spd I bought new in 94'. Since finding this forum I've enjoyed reading about everyone elses rides and opinions!

I will admit I was looking for a newer tractor but after stumbling upon this site there is a new sense of pride in ownership. As soon as it get's a little warmer I'll be getting my STX ready for it's 16th summer of service!

Thanks Guys!

Comments (60)

• metal
    15 years ago

'94 John Deere LX178 that will have to die before I replace it (doesn't look like I will be upgrading for quite a while).

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

I bought a brand new Snapper Hi-vac riding lawn mower, back in 1983! Been using it every summer since then, with normal maintenance. Had to replace the original engine last summer, as the litle red thing that i found hanging out from under the flywheel housing, turned out to be its tongue!
    I use it as a cart hauler, and a lot of other uses. Haven't found anything i like better! Have several lawn tractors, and one garden tractor, but the Snapper has my vote!

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Currently a X485 for mowing and gardening. Put the 3pt kit on it for a 5' back blade and cultivator. Don't remember if it is an '05 or '06. Kept my '96 345 as I have a snowthrower for it. Afraid to even price a thrower for the big X... probably north of 2K. My christmas tree fields have killed two JDs and a Craftsman but the trees keep buying me new machines so I can't complain.

• chris223
    14 years ago

I use my Dad's old Ariens 934 Series Garden Tractor. It's still in great shape, still runs great, cuts well. My Dad bought it brand new from a long-since out of business local Ariens dealer. We have it serviced at a reputable local shop when it needs it, and I maintain it as best I can. We have about 2 1/2 acres to mow with a very steep hill. I'd love to get my hands on a new X500 Deere... but you know, there's some element of pride in still using that old Ariens knowing that it still runs like it does. It's 24 years old, back when things were built with QUALITY in mind.

• tuco
    14 years ago

I just picked up a 2002 Toro Wheel Horse 522xi in February and have just started to use it. WOW! I had an '06 Craftsman YS4500 for 3 years and it was a good little tractor that served my then needs well. This 522xi is a real beast and I'm sure it will handle my current requirements for many years to come.

All steel construction with a high/low hydro tranny and plenty of 22HP Kohler Command Pro power. My other tractors were an old (1990?) Scotts (Noma) 6 speed and a 1996 WH 264-6 6 speed. Once you have a hydro it really is hard to go back to a manual tranny, especially for back & forth type work. I'm very pleased with my new to me Wheel Horse 522xi. Just bragging a bit as requested!

• johntommybob
    14 years ago

I have a little less than 12 acres, but it's mostly wooded. I have about 2.5 acres that I mow, and only about 3/4 acre that I call yard and mow about every two weeks in the summer. I've Iived where I do for the last 30 years

In 1983/84 I bought a 5240 Gravely Convertible with a cart, 30" mower, tiller, rotary plow, and cultivator. I still have it: it still runs as good as ever, and has never been near a repair shop. I mostly garden with it now.

I have a 1999 JD GT225 which I bought little used when it was about two years old. The first owner had moved here from Iowa, but bought a condo.
    I mow and haul fire wood with that

I also have a 1983/85? Snapper LT11 with a baggin wagon system. It still runs, but I don't use it anymore. Think I'm going to give it away; it's just taking up space.

I've learned that if you need a tool get the best one you can afford, but if you don't need it - its just something to look at and you will soon get tired of looking and it then becomes a weight around your neck.

• deercub
    14 years ago

Well just picked this up last week. No lets see if the pics work on this site for me.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/24qk93m.jpg[/IMG]

• larso1
    14 years ago

deercub, you have to pick the "HTML for Websites" link at the end of the upload process. I found that out too.

• backman01
    14 years ago

I have a b-100 wheel-horse that was bought in 1975 new with a 36 inch deck,5 yrs ago the kohler eng threw a rod,put a new 13 hp kohler on use it for plowing snow its tooooo slow to mow 4acres.i use my gt5000 craftsman for mowing.

• franked1
    14 years ago

48 Ford 8N-Acquired from father.

• franked1
    14 years ago

48 Ford 8N-Acquired from father.

• jethro
    14 years ago

{{gwi:317404}}

The photo is almost 5 years old now, but the Craftsman doesn't look a whole lot different -- maybe a few more battle scars, but it still runs great. 8 years ain't much to brag about for most high-end brands, but I figured an 8-year-old Craftsman in fine shape needed a mention. :-)

2001 Craftsman DLT2000, 20 HP Kohler, 48" deck

• deercub
    14 years ago

OK lets see if this works.

{{gwi:317406}}

2000 Deer GT-235
    1963 Early B-10 Montgomery Ward/Simplicity picked up last week.

• booboo99
    14 years ago

2008 Simplicity Prestige 4WD with 54" Deck and 27 HP Kohler Command Engine is my pride and joy.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

1948 John Deere Model M, bought it when I was 14! So I've had it for a few years now.

1998 JD 410D. Bought it used. The foolishly sold it. Then luckily bought it back.

2001 JD GT235. Bought it used in 2003.

• ducati996
    14 years ago

Just a few snap shots of what gets the job done

{{gwi:317408}}

{{gwi:317409}}

{{gwi:317410}}

{{gwi:317411}}

{{gwi:317412}}

Here is a link that might be useful: photo gallery

• marvinlee
    14 years ago

1971 Gilson 14 HP riding tractor with 48 inch deck. I bought it used from a family member in 1980. The engine had been operated without an air filter. After one failed rebuild by a local community college, I installed a new 16 HP Briggs engine. The engine now has a bit over 1000 hours, but recently required a rebuild at the thousand-hour point to stop excessive oil consumption. I did the rebuild except for professional valve grinding. The new piston, rings, and connecting rod restored excellent oil economy. Briggs has/had a special chromed ring set that they developed to allow new rings without boring the cylinder. It seems to work very well. The mower is in weekly and sometimes daily use for mowing and trailer pulling.

• wrager
    14 years ago

I got ya' on length of ownership! 1967 Bolens 1050, been in the family since new. I rebulit it a few years ago with a 16hp B/S. It looks and runs like new. I actually need to sell it, if anyone is interested.

• larso1
    14 years ago

wrager says: "I got ya' on length of ownership! 1967 Bolens 1050, been in the family since new. I rebulit it a few years ago with a 16hp B/S. It looks and runs like new. I actually need to sell it, if anyone is interested."

We need need pics!

• themuleman
    14 years ago

I have a 1250 Cub Cadet thats been in my family since it was bought new, it has been mine for the last couple of years. I mow the lawn with a middle eighties Craftsman 1000 that my brother bought new and I got three years ago, but the C.C. is my private stock that I use like a little workhorse around the farm. The C.C. has 460 hrs. and still going on all origional except tires. It is a work in progress to see what all I can build on it and for it, aint life great!!!!!

• cnetter
    14 years ago

!987 JD 160, bought new then. It's not real pretty anymore since we use it a lot.
    {{gwi:317413}}

• magrigg
    14 years ago

I have 2. The newest one is a 1975 Cub Cadet 1650 Hydrostatic in great condition. The older tractor is a 1960 model Roper T20. The Roper came with a large assortment of implements which was converted to use with the Cub Cadet after about 2 months of modifications. We garden almost 7 acres with the tractors.

• interian
    14 years ago

Hello
    Is anybody selling an utility tractor (with or without) attachments, looking to buy John Deere only.
    You can e mail me: bomber6e@hotmail.com
    Thank you very much

• wheelhorse_of_course
    14 years ago

1969 Wheel Horse Charger 12. I have owned it for 4 years.

And it works better than when I got it, though I will say it was working when I got it.

Not a very good picture, but here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheel Horse Charger 12, 1969

• jeffinia
    14 years ago

1986 Simplicity 4211 , I bought it in 1987 and used it up until 6 years ago as My primary mower, Repowered with a new 13 hp briggs about 10 years ago and still use it weekly to pull the lawn sweeper, Heck I just put in its first set of new spindle bearings this summer!And it still mows and looks good![IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/JeffinIA/Mowers%20and%20stuff/0081040x684.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/JeffinIA/Mowers%20and%20stuff/0071040x684.jpg[/IMG]

• jeffinia
    14 years ago

{{gwi:317414}}
    Trying again

{{gwi:317415}}

• mikeminohio
    14 years ago

Purchased a John Deere LX176 in 1991 brnad new. The only thing replaced outside of a couple of normal worn belts was the Battery. And that went last spring. I use it year round mowing, plowing and late snow season I use the snow blower! Its still looks new!

• lildeere
    14 years ago

My old Roper is 28 years old but lives the life of Riley since 2005...but is still kickin'
    # {{gwi:317417}}

• mowerman1193
    14 years ago

1984 Work Horse (made by Wheel Horse) GT1600 8 speed..Dad bought it new in 1984 and when I bought the house in 1993 he let me have it with the house..Has mowed 2 acres and plowed snow for me and several neighbors over the years..I picked up another 1983 just like it non running for parts but ended up just needing a starter so now I have been using that one for the last 2 years..Got the original one torn down for a make-over. but it still runs great..Have all the original papers and sales slip too.

• w3nzl
    14 years ago

I have an old Sears 10XL which I bought new in 1968 which
    has served me well... It mowed about 3/4 acre of grass every
    summer up thru 2006 when the mowing chores were taken
    over by a Hustler ZTR... It also did, and still does
    the snowblowing chores in the winter... Been thru a couple
    of belts, a few batteries, an I had to replace a rusted
    out muffler once, the flanges on the carb that the air
    filter mounts to broke off about 25 years ago, so it hasn't
    had an air filter since.. Still starts reliably and
    runs just fine, uses about a qt of oil a season in mowing
    service, which isn't bad considering the service its given
    me... Paid about 1 kilo-buc for the tractor, mower deck,
    snow blower, 3 point hitch, plow, disc harrow, and drag
    harrow... For service and longevity rendered, its got to be
    the best thousand bucs I ever spent... Just hope my
    Honda powered Hustler ZTR lasts half as long...
    Paul R...

• jacksoncove
    14 years ago

I have 1976 Sears ST 12 Garden Tractor still runs I retired it last year from mowing but I am clearing a section of my property and the old girl is being used for that it still hauls a 5x10 trailer full of wood I have had since new which my dad bought for me when I was 11 so I could have a lawn mowing and snow blowing business for which of course I paid him back I was making 150 to 200 dollars a month back then for sentiment reasons I will never let her go

• williston
    14 years ago

JD Scotts 1642 purchased in spring of 2000. It should hit 400 hours this fall. Had to replace the transmission input shaft and pulley last year due to worn splines. Other repairs have been minor: two idler pulleys on the deck, new belts for the deck and drive and I replaced the --original- Interstate battery last year. The Kohler has been trouble free. A good tractor that has held up fine despite all the dire predictions that it was a "junked down" fake Deere when I bought it 10 years ago.

• diffrerentstrokes_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

1980 7016, Ran great till this cold weather. Cracked the rear trans axle. Need to replace the whole axle. Any one know where to get a used one. 989 257-2217. Don R

• greengrass_grower
    13 years ago

Our old Massey 362 has been working away since 1997. After 8 years with us mowing up to 80 acres of turf per day with a Kesmac gang mower, she has not missed a beat!

Still in immaculate condition this tractor is the old faithful of out turf farms fleet.

I wanted to add a pic but cant work out how.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turf Suppliers

• larso1
    13 years ago

greengrass, if she's a 2WD then probably looks like the one linked below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Massey 362 w/ brushog

• joedirt2005
    13 years ago

Grrengrass

If you need help on massey fergs, take a look at www.machineunderground.com and ask for FWJ (resident expert on them)

Just a suggestion

Here is a link that might be useful: Massey ferg Forum machineunderground.com

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Here some interesting tractors.

Here is a link that might be useful: ingersoll tractors

• tbrown
    13 years ago

cub cadet 102 international ..had her for 20 years

• sboricic
    13 years ago

I have a 1972 JD with original tires, no rust, just some paint missing but in good shape that's been in the family since I was a kid. My son plays with it now with the rest of his Mattel and Hot Wheel toys. LOL!

I have a Mastercraft LT2000, 23 hp, that I purchased about 4 years ago. So far, I've been happy with it.

• meleahy
    13 years ago

1956 Oliver BD dozer that my father bought new. Back then it was the main farm tractor. I now hav a 15 acre block and use the tractor for bragging points. It's a bit sad at the moment, but it will go again soon.

• jolj
    12 years ago

I have a Ford 8n tractor, that was my fathers for 45 years.
    I have had it 6 years.
    Does anyone have any advise on this tractor?

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

What kind of advise jolj? My Dad had an 8n, one of my brothers has it now, but I was Dads handy man. It needed very little repair over the years, voltage regulator, starter and generator brushes, and lights. It is still a good old tractor.

I have a 1950 Allis Chalmer CA, that I bought in 85 that hasn't given a lick of trouble except for dry rotted tires.

Those old tractors are workhorses! Very dependable if they have been serviced regularly.

• jolj
    12 years ago

That what I wanted to hear, thank you,werach.

• Belldave
    12 years ago

I have a 2001 445 deere , it has only 80 hours on it , i have the curtis cab with hot water heat , which makes it pretty nice , i have only the 47 two stage blower , and basically thats all this tractor has to do . My mowers are wheelhorse 416-8 rd mower and a 312-8 with a rd mower i also have a 312-8 with a plow on it and a cab with heat piped into the cab and electric winch lifting the blade , i really enjoy winter , this year is pretty sorry as far as snow , almost like spring here

• EvadP
    12 years ago

I have 112 acres, so I needed a bigger tractor.
    I have a 1980 JD 2040 diesel, that has been in the family since bought new.

• hardscrabble
    12 years ago

Got a John Deere X485. Purchased in 2003. Got about 350 hours on it. Considered trading up but this one runs good and is bought and paid. for The new prices scare me to death. Talk about sticker shock!

• wingspings
    12 years ago

1992 KGRO LT 4216 My Dad bought this way back in the summer of '92 to take care of 3/4 acre.When he passed in '99 I took it over and used it since then. Put in new mower belt in summer of '08 and new fuel line and fuel filter in summer of '11.A new battery every 2 years and oil changes each year. Would like to make a plow or get a plow for it any ideas would be welcomed on this topic.

• rager_w
    12 years ago

Wow, here we are three years later. The Bolens is long gone and I traded my Deere X300 for an X500! I'm so darn excited to start mowing!!!!

• Tonytn1158
    9 years ago

Hi all, my first post. I bought a john Deere, 2002? Gt235, 420 hours. Had a crack upper hood when I bought it. I have a total of $1,200 in it. Runs great, lots better then the muarrys and craftsman that I am use to using. Looks great to. I think did great on it.

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County