Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
br31

hydro oil change - craftsman

br31
11 years ago

my craftsman 17,5 hp from 2008 is having a whinning sound when i drive - the sound i higher when i go faster... i like to change the hydro oil but the instruktionpaper say that no oli change is needet... so no help here!!

is there any here who have tried to change hydro oli and would like to share this with me?

greetings from denmark

bruno lind

Comments (4)

• mownie
    11 years ago

There are multiple threads in the forum archives related to the problem you have and the procedures to resolve the issue.
    You can use the forum search feature to locate old threads where this was discussed at length.
    Use key words and phrases like "hydrostat oil change" hydrostat fluid change" "hydrostat problems" and other variations of the theme and you will get plenty of reading to study.
    The forum search facility is located at the bottom of the forum Opening Page.

• mutta
    11 years ago

I have a Craftsman 2001 lawn tractor 917.272420 . I look in the manual and do not see how to change this hydro oil. I know it has over heated a few times and some came out the overflow. On page 50 of the manual that came with the tractor I see item 23 check plug assembly,washer..and item 109 plug ,sae #6. Can I open item 23 to drain it and refill by using item 109? It uses 20w-50 oil. I need to replace the 5217-2 Warner electric clutch(bearings are gone) and wonder if anyone gets theirs off ebay...lot cheaper than small engine shop in town........thanks...dennis hydro gear transaxle #314-0510 email me if you can aarpman@msn.com

• cseanjones
    11 years ago

Hey Mownie, Im new to this site. I have noticed you often suggest to search previous hydro threads. I havent found any specifically related to my Hydro Gear 314-0510. I want to change the fluid in it.I keep hearing to use 20/50wt oil? On this Hydro there is a plastic resiviour. and a metal drain plug at the top.There is a small vent cap on the plastic resivour.So should I simply drain and refill oil out of metal plug? Does it matter if there is any fluid in the resivour? thanks for any help or sugestions!

• mownie
    11 years ago

The part you refer to as reservoir is an oil expansion tank. This tank may appear to be near empty when the transaxle fluid is cold but the level will usually rise as the transaxle oil heats up.
    For this time I am going to include a URL where you can download a free PDF service manual covering this unit.
    The oil to use is specified in the manual as being 20W50 having an API classification of "SL". That is an older API classification and you may find the oil on the store shelf now carries a current classification of "SN". You can use any API classification of SL, SM, or SN that you find available.
    The manual covers the drain and fill process in a step by step manner.
    Basically you need to remove the transaxle assembly from the tractor and turn it upside down over a suitable catch container and allow it to drain out through the filler opening port. If the URL gets removed by the forum just e-mail me and I'll give it to you.
    http://www.hydro-gear.com/Service-Manuals/310-0510 BLN-51260_P2.pdf

This post was edited by mownie on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 22:01