Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Looking for a replacement GT Seat

Hi Folks,

GT 5000, I think it's a 2003. 917.275972, Seat Part # 180597. Looking around the web, they range from $85 on Ebay to over $200 elsewhere, Sears is $135, all plus S&H. I heard that you can't have Sears parts shipped to your local Sears anymore to eliminate S&H, but don't know for sure.

Have heard about aftermarket seats that hold up better, some even have arms.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (18)

• hippy
    9 years ago

$69 to as much as you wish to spend. One with arms = $119.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_seats+lawn-tractor-utility-vehicle-seats

Also look under Construction & Agriculture Seats.

TIP: Be sure to measure the Mounting pattern (example 8in. x 11 1/2in. and 11 1/4in. x 11 1/2in) on your tractor before ordering an aftermarket seat to get one that will fit.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Hippy! Didn't even think to look there. I think I remember deleting an email where they offered a 25% coupon for Easter......:-(

Guess I'll go out and do some measuring.

THanks again,

Ev

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

If you Google-
    AYP 180597 seat

Looks like some might be available for $70.

• lt150
    9 years ago

My seat was shot about 5 years ago and bought a John Deere seat cover. Been using it ever since and it has two pockets. It cost about 25 bucks.

• lt150
    9 years ago

Here is a duplicate to my previous post because my picture did not appear. Try again.

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

You might want to try something like I have on one of my GT5000s....used an old computer chair seat. Comfortable and has arms if you want them. Mounts very easily. New computer chairs are cheaper than tractor seats and you can get them locally....

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

PS:

If you need more info on how I mounted the 'computer chair-tractor seat' I can take some closeup pictures....Galaxieman

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

Closer view....

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

Good idea, Looks comfortable too.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! Wow, not sure what to do now.

Thanks again,

Ev

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

While the comfort of a computer chair looks appealing, I question how long it will hold up relative to a seat designed for a tractor.

The computer seat is not designed to be able to withstand the out door environment. UV, oil, a lot more wear as you bounce around on the seat while mowing. I would suspect the basic stress placed on the seat are much different that a computer chair.

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

Yes, the old $59 computer chair is comfortable and certainly not designed for this use, however, I have been using for 4 years mowing 2 1/2 acres, year round, in South Florida.

It is really nice to have arms to lean on and to be able to lean back against the tall back. I do get some strange looks from passerby's....

The chair arms are hard plastic so I covered them with soft pipe insulation.

Ocasionally I have scraped a tree branch with the tall back, but it is holding up OK.

I am have recently been eyeing my son's computer chair for my other GT 5000!!!!

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Galaxieman, how about flipping the seat forward and showing the attachment?

Thanks,

Ev

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

Exmar,

There are pictures below of the seat installation.

The seat itself was attached to its rolling base with four round head cap screws (1/4-20 ?). I used the same screws to attach the seat to my mower. In the photo you can see the front two screw heads and the the edge of the other two screws under the âÂÂseat occupiedâ bracket. I had to slightly notch the edge of the bracket for screw clearance.

Notice that my installation does not allow for any seat adjustment. I positioned the seat where I thought I wanted it. Then I used the old rolling base from the chair as a template for positioning the four screw holes in the GT 5000 tilting seat bracket. I got lucky because the position is fine for me. If not, I would have slotted the holes or drilled new ones.

If this seat goes bad tomorrow, I will get another $60 computer chair to replace it.....much more comfortable than any of the original mower seats.

If you do this type of installation be sure to remove the seat bracket from the mower to drill the holes or be VERY careful not to drill into your gas tank....

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

Another photo...

• briggsgalaxieman
    9 years ago

And another:

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Galaxieman!

Hmmm, my wife is an accountant and has an office at home. Thinking about making some major points by surprising her with a new office chair. I get the old one, she thinks I'm a nice guy....:-)

When you ask a question in these forums, there's no telling what point of departure you end up taking.

Thanks again,

Ev

• mownie
    9 years ago

Just you be dang sure her new chair is an upgrade from her old one or you will still get the evil eye. :^)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm