Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocmoses

Craftsman tractor will not pull

ocmoses
12 years ago

I have a 1995 Craftsman 46" 18 hp lawn tractor. I have had this problem for a while and had put the tractor in the back of the barn and was using another mower. The tractor will start out fine when it is cool but the transmission will start slipping when it warms up. As a matter of fact, I just finished changing out the transmission to one that I bought and know was working. The same thing happens with the change-out transmission. I am frustrated beyond description! All of that work and I have the same problem. I seriously need advise. All of the numbers are as follows:

1995 Craftsman Model 917.258691

Serial # 021297D001069

18 hp Kohler Twin (Model # MV18S)

Someone suggested replacing the crankshaft pulley, the belt (which is not worn) and the transaxle pulley. Will this fix my problem?

Comments (11)

• mownie
    12 years ago

It sounds like the typical "well used" hydrostatic drive transmission in dire need of a fluid change. If you did not change the fluid in either of the trans units you now own you should expect that both contain oil that is degraded beyond a useful condition.
    At least you know how (I hope) to remove the transaxle assembly because that may be the best way to drain out the old oil.

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What type and how much fluid should be used?

• mownie
    12 years ago

Your transaxle is supposed to be a Hydro Gear brand, model # 319-0650.
    According to the Hydro Gear PDF parts list (get your copy by clicking the link below) your transaxle requires 81 ounces of 20 W 50 motor oil. I recommend synthetic (it's great in heat).
    Now, think real hard............do you remember seeing (in print) somewhere that your transaxle is a 319-0650? :^)

Here is a link that might be useful: 319-0650

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again mownie. Since it is late, I will check the number on the transaxle tomorrow, but I think the number you posted is correct.

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The transaxle is indeed a Hydro Gear Model 319-0650 as referenced by the sticker plate on the unit(s). Thanks for the advise and the link. I will start the dissembly tomorrow. Do you think it is wise to change-out the pulleys and drive belt while I have it taken apart? The transaxle pulley shows some wear inside the "v". I can't really see the crankshaft pulley without taking it apart. I am tired of working on this thing and want this to be the last time I have to put it on the rack.

• mownie
    12 years ago

If the belt looks good (not cracking or glazed) and the bottom of the vee on the belt does not reach the bottom of the pulley vee, no reason to change the belt or pulley (so long as the pulley is not loose on the input shaft).
    Are you intending to change the oil?

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The oil will definitely be changed to a synthetic 20 w 50. The belt does show signs of bottoming out in the pulley so I am going to change them (the belt and pulleys) out. Previously when I was first working on this tractor, I saw a listing on ebay for a hydrostatic "tune-up" kit which stated that wear to the pulleys were the main problem with poor performance in hydrostatic drives, but I can't seem to find the listing anymore. The kit consisted of the belt and both pulleys and was somewhat cheaper than buying the parts individually. If anyone knows where I can find this, I would really appreciate being told.

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HALLELUIA, HALLELUIA!!! The Angels are singing and this old man is smiling! Many thanks to you mownie. I changed the fluid in the transaxle and replaced the crankshaft pulley, the ground drive belt and the transaxle pulley and the tractor now pulls like a champ. I did not use a fully synthetic fluid ($8.49 per quart is too rich for my blood) but did use a synthetic blend. Auto Zone had a special for 5 quarts and you get a free oil filter. I also changed the fluid in my other hydrostatic drive mower. I think the real culprit was the crankshaft pulley. The interior of the pulley was worn so round that the belt was only touching on the innermost surface. Thanks again mownie you are a true expert. I hope I don't ever have to go through this again. I think I could change-out a transaxle in my sleep!

• mownie
    12 years ago

Well, I'm just a dumazz mechanic. But I do enjoy watch a happy person turn cartwheeels!

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're #1 in my book! THANK YOU.

Ocmoses

• mownie
    12 years ago

The joy of the moment is clouding your judgment. Thanks.
    :^)

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting