Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocksoldier

John Deere 445 - PTO problem

rocksoldier
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have a John Deere 445. I've had it for about five years and it is a great tractor. I was cutting the grass on Monday and had to move one of the kids toys on the lawn. I turned off the PTO like I always do (push down on the PTO knob), put the brake on and move the toy. I got back on, turned the brake off and the PTO would not engage. There was no grinding noise or anything. I changed the PTO to the rear and tried again, still nothing so I don't think it is a PTO gear issue.

Any idea what the problem is? Is it electrical?

Thanks in advance,

Marty

Comments (13)

• macguy
    16 years ago

Probably one of 4 things:

PTO switch is faulty
    Seat switch is fautly
    Brake switch is stuck or faulty
    PTO Solenoid is faulty

With tractor running, brake off and the PTO switch in the on position (up) test the wire leading to the PTO solenoid (at the top of the transaxle on the backside). Metal cylinder stick out with a plastic nut on the end of it with a wire leading to it. See if it is hot. If it's getting juice then the solenoid is bad. If no juice then start checking the switches. Also make sure you're not really low on hydro fluid.

• johnsinva
    16 years ago

Rocksoldier -

You might post this thread to the weekend freedom machines site. They are a very knowledgeable group of JD owners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weekend Freedom Machines

• javert
    16 years ago

Rocksoldier, unplug the connector at the PTO and see how many volts you're getting there; if you're not getting 12, your battery might be too low to activate the PTO. This happens on my Power King whenever the battery gets low - that is, the tractor runs fine, but the PTO won't engage.
    (Pull the connector wires loose, then have someone sit in the seat and activate the PTO switch, then take a reading of voltage in the connector.)

• macguy
    16 years ago

Not tough at all to change the solenoid but the plastic nut needs to be torqued to proper spec to work properly.

• rocksoldier
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    The battery is new this spring and it is giving me 12 volts at the solenoid connector. I removed the solenoid, pretty easy. When I was testing for voltage, with the solenoid removed, the PTO light was on - the PTO light would not light before I disconnected the solenoid.

From your comments, it's almost certainly a bad solenoid. Thanks for your help.

Marty

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

IF this is a Warner clutch, field resistance should be between 2.4 & 2.9 OHMS. Don't forget to zero the meter.

• rocksoldier
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, me again. I know it's been a while but was back here for something else and figured I should put up what the problem was. After doing some testing of the electrical, it was the PTO switch (yellow switch to the left of steering wheel) that needed to be replaced!!! I would of never thought.
    Thanks for all your help.

• user947729_aol_com
    12 years ago

MOWER WILL RUN FOR 2 MINUTES AND THEN SHUT OFF. ENGINE IS
    STILL RUNNING. TRIED AGAIN AND AGAIN AND SAME RESULT.
    DO YOU THINK IT IS SOLENOID OR PTO SWITCH OR SEAT SWITCH?

THANK YOU

• ton1945
    9 years ago

Please need your thoughts on my 445.... The blades will not engage when I pull up on the PTO switch,but the drive shaft is spinning and it sounds like the blades want to start and they don't ..thanks,

• ton1945
    9 years ago

Please need your thoughts on my 445.... The blades will not engage when I pull up on the PTO switch,but the drive shaft is spinning and it sounds like the blades want to start and they don't ..thanks,

• ton1945
    9 years ago

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Gear box, spindle belt , tension spring? Off the deck has to come and you need to pull the covers and have a look. Or at least pull the covers...

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?