Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arceeguy

Want to buy a riding mower with a hydrostatic tranny

arceeguy
12 years ago

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2002 Sears LT1000 to a nicer model. While the LT1000 has been good to me, with zero repairs - I recently borrowed a Sears LT2000 with a hydrostatic tranny and electric PTO, and I was hooked. The engine (a Briggs Twin), was smoother than the Kohler Command single in my mower and the hydrostatic trans cut my mowing time and effort considerably.

My yard is about 3/4 acre, flat but a bit bumpy in the back yard. I'm reading horror stories about the hydrostatic transmissions in the equipment in my price range. (less than $3000)

My current piece of equipment has about 750 hours on it, and the old school (and cheap) 5 speed transaxle has been reliable even though I don't stop to shift into higher gears. I just kind of step on the clutch a little and move the shift lever and it'll "pop" right into the next gear with a little bit of a jerk. (Hey, it beats stopping) I do have to stop to shift to a lower gear because it really doesn't like being "power shifted" to a lower gear.

I have a tow behind aerator that I drag around a couple of times a year with about 120 lbs of weight on it - but otherwise, that's it. No plowing, or towing anything heavy.

So do you guys think a "light duty" lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive will survive for 10 years of cutting grass and sucking up leaves? All of the complaints on the web about these things failing is getting me concerned. And it seems they all use the same transaxle made by tuff torq. Heck even the Deere X300 uses this transaxle, and that model is out of my price range!

I checked out craigslist and was looking for light duty lawn tractors with bad hydrostatic transaxles for sale and only found one in my area. I'm guessing if these things are so bad, I would have found quite a few for sale. There are a lot of running models of various brands for sale though. (maybe they have bad trannies as they tend to run good until warmed up - who knows)

Are there millions of people out there that don't have any trouble or are there millions of people that are scrapping their mowers after a few years? (and not putting them on craigslist) What say you?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• kompressor
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think that there are millions of people out there that don't have any trouble but also millions that end up scrapping their mowers because it is almost pointless to put them on Craigslist.

Let's face it. There are a lot of people who should not be allowed anywhere tools or machinery. They never read Op Manuals, know how to use a grease gun or bother to change oil in their engine. They buy stuff, use it until it quits and then put it out at the curb for pick-up. They go back to the box store buy a new one and perpetuate the cycle.

There are also people who think that a Deere lawn tractor is capable of the same work that a full-sized Deere Ag tractor is. They disregard the "lawn tractor" description and use it to jerk old shrubs and tree stumps out of the ground along with numerous other tasks that the tractor was never built to perform. The item that takes the most abuse is the trans-axle because that's what links the engine power to the ground.

Someone figured out that average property owner puts 50 hours per year on their tractor. Ten years of average use equals 500 hours. The engines used in these tractors are supposed to give 1000 hours of use before needing rebuilding but that's based on the owner changing oil, filters and performing other routine maintenance diligently over that time-frame.

The main problem with the low-end tractors these days is the hydro. The manufacturers decided to make the hydro's a sealed unit. Presumably, that was done to put an end to owners that put the wrong oil into the hydro's and also contaminated them with dirt and water out of sheer carelessness. Sounds like a plan but the only people it benefited were the hydro builders and the tractor manufacturers because of frivolous warranty claims.

The problem with that idea is this. Thanks to time and heat, multi-grade oil begins to break down and change viscosity. When that happens, the hydro no longer performs as it should and if there are no drain and fill plugs, then life is not good for the tractor owner. The oil is critical because that's what transmits engine hp from the hydro's pump to the hydro's drive motor, just as the driveshaft in a car transmits engine HP from the transmission to the rear end and ultimately the rear tires.

For the most part, these lawn tractors are pretty good machines providing the owners take proper care of them and use them as a lawn tractor was designed to be used. If I owned one, then it would have an hour meter on it for sure. After every two years of use, I would remove the trans-axle from the tractor, hang it upside down and let all the oil drain out of it for a couple of days. Then I would refill it with the correct oil and put it back into the tractor for another two years.

When you do that, you are not only replacing the partially worn out oil but you are also removing contaminants that are in suspension in that oil due to the detergents the oil manufacturers add. High-end hydro's have oil filters to look after that problem. Low-end one's don't.

No matter which brand of LT you choose, all you are truly buying is the name because 90 percent of the tractor's components are made by companies other than the one whose label adorns the hood. You are relying on them to select decent engines, trans-axles, tires, rims, electrical components, bearings, rod ends, springs, nuts, bolts, washers, drive belts and so on for your tractor. They just stamp out the chassis and some other metal bits and pieces before assembling everything.

Find a dealer in your area that has an impeccable word-of-mouth reputation and buy your tractor from him. Get to know him because box store employees come and go and box stores do not perform warranty work on what they sell. They rely on the very dealer you should be doing business with so just cut out the middleman.

Go and sit on all the tractor brands and if possible, test drive them if they have a used unit around or a demonstrator. Searching the internet is helpful but we all know that happy owners don't post on the internet but disgruntled ones do because they want to get even.

Take your time, do your homework and then decide which brand you like, which deck width best suits your property and which dealer you feel really good about. It's your money and it's not chump change. You and that tractor will hopefully be married for at least ten years so this should be more than just an over-night fling. Think with the big head, not the small one. LOL

• ckr74
    12 years ago

If you want a cheap lawn tractor, get a Craftsman. It should run good for at least 5-8 years. If you want a good one, go with JD X series or Simplicity. Lots more $$$ for the latter, but should get 10+ years out of it. You can't get good cheap. It just doesn't work that way. Thanks!

• User
    12 years ago

The right tool for the job... the intelligent answer... always was and always will be.

When one buys entry level anything there are multitudes of compromises in the product from the first stroke of the pencil on the designers paper. Entry level products are engineered to a price point and cost is the overwhelming consideration governing EVERY choice made in the product.

Buying a Sears lawn tractor is easy and that is appealing until you call and need warranty service and a third party contracted to do warranty service tells you it will be three weeks till they can get to you. In three weeks the truck shows up and the tech decides you need parts so he orders them. The parts will arrive in three weeks or so and then you call to schedule a return service call to install the parts... in another three weeks or so. So you bought your Sears lawn tractor and it will sit most of the mowing season because it needed a simple warranty repair.

As appealing, and easy, as Sears is take a look at what your local JD or Simplicity or Cub Cadet dealer offers. They will have competing products at around the same price. what the local pros offer that sears, Lowes, and HD don't and can't is a full time service department with a parts department that stocks parts.

Look around the neighborhood and see what your neighbors bought. Check the reputation of the local dealers and shop those that are known for service after the sale.

• arceeguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your replies!

As far as paying for what you get, I am in total agreement but I look at it this way.

A basic light duty lawn tractor can be had for less than $1000. It will have a single cylinder splash lube aluminum bore engine. A manual transmission. No headlights. No ammeter. Cable PTO. Light gauge deck/frame. If taken care of the machine might out last the aluminum bore engine. Maybe good for a few hundred hours before they start to lose considerable power?

Go to the 2000-2500 range and you get a twin cylinder full pressure lubed, cast iron bore engine. Hydrostat drive, bright headlights, electric PTO, ammeter, heavier gauge deck and frame. I'm guessing the engine might be good for well over 1000 hours and may outlive the tractor it is mounted on.

I am already willing to pay more than double (up to triple) the amount for a bottom feeder model. I would hope that anything over $2000 is getting me something that will fit my needs without going overboard. My only concern is the hydrostatic transaxle, which is pretty much "standard equipment" in that price range. I really like the "automatic" transmission, but not if it will require replacement in 3 years.

I'm pretty sure I don't need a $4-5K tractor for my 3/4 acre yard - although if I had the money, I would by one knowing it would be the last one I would ever need to buy.

• User
    12 years ago

Consider this... it can be only a small percentage of entry level hydro owners that cry the blues either from overtaxing the product or just plain bad luck

If K46s and equivalent entry level hydros were failing at even a 5% rate it would cost the manufacturers too much to warranty them and steps would be taken to resolve the problem.

A ways back JD passed manufacturing it's 5 millionth lawn and garden tractor... lets guess that 1 million have K46 or other entry level trans... have you read even 5 thousand posts complaining about hydro transmission failure because a 1% failure rate would be 1000

If you buy from a competent dealer and get a reasonable warranty and operate the lawn tractor according to the manufacturer's recommendations and do the required maintenance then you should go far past three years.

• arceeguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's what I figured. The K46 has been around for a while now, and there are a small (but vocal) group of dissatisfied owners out there that are causing my concerns.

I may just hang on to the LT 1000 for a couple of years and save up for a Simplicity or X series Deere with the K57/58 transaxle.

I wonder what my 2002 LT 1000 with 750+ hours would sell for on the used market. Mine has the Kohler Command 17.5, cast iron front axle, 42" deck with mulching plate and 3 bin bagger. Garage kept and looking good. Maybe $400-500? I could put that towards a new one I suppose.

I do all of my own maintenance and repairs on my cars and power equipment, so the dealer support is not a great concern of mine. I also have a utility trailer, so transporting it to a dealer for warranty service is not a problem.

Sears will come pick up and bring to their service center, so maybe another Sears would be a good choice for me. Years ago, I worked for Sears service and did OPE along with home electronics. (when people actually fixed TV's, VCR's and stereo equipment) If they have maintained their service standards, their service should be fine.

Thanks again!

• User
    12 years ago

I have found that most people who whine about their K46s failing are using them as if they were garden tractors. Pulling a cart full of firewood up a slight slope is not what a lawn tractor was intended to do.

If your LT1000 is doing the job keep ridin' it and save the money you don't spend. Keep a watchful eye out for a clean used JD X320 or a Simplicity Broadmoor if you have to have a K58.

The thing that would worry me about an oldie but goodie in today's economy is whether parts will be available down the road. Sears ain't Sears anymore, it's K-Mart, and an awful lot of parts for Sears and Craftsman and Kenmore are NLA after just 5 years or so.

I'd double check om those Sears Service Centers... all the ones around here have been closed down for a few years and warranty service is only done by a third party and they are not timely or prompt.

Sponsored