Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_14034

troy-bilt pony runaway

Mike-14034
9 years ago

I was helping an elderly lady roto till her garden with her pony troybilt model 15008 once I started it I took it to the garden are successfully but then I engaed the tines and started to till and the rototiller zoomed forward with myself hanging on until I could let go of the handles. I have used other tillers and do have a craftman tiller mysef, but I never had this experience. It was scary. I took the pony to Lamb & Websters Agricultural equiptment center in Springville NY and explained the problem to them. They performed some work on it but must not have tested it in real application as I for a second time tried to till exactly as previously described. It happened again! I have done the tilling for this person using my own craftsman tiller. However I told the lady I would try to find out what happened and what could be done to correct the malfunction. I warned her not to have anyone use it until we are certain that the problem is fixed. Very dangerous. I am will to repair it for her but need advice on what the possible solutions are. Can you help me?

Mike Huber

Comments (2)

• mownie
    9 years ago

Take it back where the "repairs" were done.
    Explain to them that the problem you brought it to them for the first time, has not been fixed and that you want them to demonstrate to you that it has been fixed.......before you haul it out again.
    If they try it and it works for them, get them to show you how it is done.
    You could be missing a fine detail of operation that is giving you the results you get.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

IMHO, a lot of the "rear tine" tillers exhibit this operation. IF you have the depth set too deep on the first pass and the tines in "forward" and the ground is hard or even untilled. Away you go. Reset for shallow for the first pass, then deepen depth on subsequent passes. If this tiller has a "tinies reverse" function, do that first and eliminate the issue.

Another thought is, does it have a "drag stake" to control depth? If that's missing, get one ASAP.

Good luck,

Ev