Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Battery

bus_driver
10 years ago

My U1R-2 battery in one of the riders was dead this morning. It is about 5 years old-- about as good as I ever get on the life of those batteries. My favorite independent battery dealer did not answer the phone-- closed on Saturday. And the location is not convenient and is farther than most other possible sources. So I go online. Advance Auto has the battery -- $51.99-- unbelievably high! And only 3 month warranty plus the users reviews are about 50% negative. O'Reily's crummy website and that of AutoZone are difficult and slow to use.
Sears DieHard Gold is $54.99-- the nearest store does not offer pickup for online purchase. 1 year warranty and very high CCA. So I may just go with Sears.

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

If you have a Parts Plus around look at them cause around here their L&G batteries are made by East Penn (DEKA) and are the best you can get and made in USA.

The models with sealed tops (not with removable caps rather the REAL flat top) are top quality.

Rumor has it that Batteries Plus uses DEKA batteries east of the Mississippi.

Avoid Walmart Neverstart and Sears DieSoon batteries unless there's no alternative.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More on the battery. The U1R-2 ID is from an old battery I had that is the same size as my recently-failed one. Different brands use different suffix numbers. I think mine in the mower is probably just U1R. It is a Diehard, the original in a Craftsman (AYP) mower and about 5 years old. I have no reason to expect a mower battery to last longer. The old one is more than 300 CCA and the new DieHard is 350. Walmart is about 230 CCA, so some sources say-- not to be found on their website.
    Several of the brands list lower CCA for the U1R than for the U1. Very strange since they are the same size, just reversed terminals.
    We do have Batteries Plus. Their prices are so high that I suspect very low sales volume which could mean old stock on hand. I want lettuce and batteries to be fresh.
    Just one PartsPlus in my area and near the independent battery dealer who gets some of his from Deka.
    So may have to wait until Tuesday to get a new battery. Before I cranked the mower, the battery voltage was 10 volts. Had to jump start it from my truck. Mower voltage was 14.4 while running, so the charging system is OK.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The BatteriesPlus website shows that their highest capacity U1R is just 300 CCA. My original is higher and the Gold DieHard is 350. I like the highest possible CCA. Other things being equal, that will be the one that will serve longer.
    No online info found on Parts Plus batteries.

• User
    10 years ago

The U1R is the standard configuration L&G battery with the + and - terminals REVERSED from standard.

I avoid Batteries Plus cause their prices are insane for EVERYTHING they sell..

Parts Plus (at least out west) has the entire U1(R) range under their number system all the way up to 300+ CCA at reasonable prices.

I use DEKA batteries from East Penn exclusively, and they are hard to find out west, and have never failed to get over 7 years of reliable service while mowing and snow blowing and the tractor sleeps in a shed and it gets REAL cold here.

I do confess to hooking up a 2 amp charger for 12 hours once every 30 days in winter.

Here's the Deka spec sheet to see what is available... http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0008DekaLG.pdf and they are calcium maintenance free technology... worth hunting down... you won't be sorry.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 21:26

Sponsored