Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bongzee_gw

Toro Timecutter Z5000 - Need help with Hydrostatic Tranny

BongZee
12 years ago

Hello. I just bought a used Toro Z5000. The right side transmission works great but the left seems to just barely creep forward and moves better in reverse. I wanted to change / add fluid but I don't see a way to do it. Tips anyone? Are there any serviceable parts inside if I open it up? I did a little research on hydrostatic tranny and it seems to zero in on a swash plate / washer as the cause of the problem. Thanks a lot.

Comments (29)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

From what i have read about most types of those hydro-static transmissions, is that when they fail to work properly--kiss it goodbye, and buy a new one.
    Can't you get any satisfaction from the mfgr. of the rider? Or, the Dealer?
    Ohh, a few folks say they have dumped out the old fluid, and refilled the tranny, but they don't usually say how long that trick lasted.
    And, since you haven't gotten any answers, go to the Dealer and inquire about your problem.
    I have a really nice lawn tractor here, that has a bad tranny, and the cost of replacement is more than it is worth.
    A friend has an old JD lawn tractor, He told me it wouldn't go up a steep part of his lawn, I told him it needed a new tranny. He said the dealer would change the fluid and all would be well again. Dealer did that, and it didn't help. Took a new tranny to fix it.
    So, since yours doesn't go up hill, or slips, or doesn't perform properly--maybe a new tranny would help. Although, since you say the machine has two transmissions, better tread lightly, and examine your options.
    HTH: Rusty J. JMHO

• BongZee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rusty. I wanted to try changing the fluid but I don't even know what type it takes. I'm not ready to fork out $600 yet for a tranny, it wont hurt to tear it apart at this point...

• rcbe
    12 years ago

might get the full model number off the unit's ID plate - go to toro's service website - enter model # - download available manuals - may have more info there.

Here is a link that might be useful: toro manual

• Ramblin Bob
    6 years ago

Well, dad4077, your post sure saved my bacon....... Your post may be a couple of years old, but it was just the post I needed. I'm working on my 11 year old Torro Z5030, and am having the same problems as the original poster. It has been harder and harder to move and stear and the last time, it wouldn't move at all. All the info I can find says they are not 'fixable' and there is no fill plug. Well, I couldn't afford new trannys as it would have been cheaper to buy a new mower. After reading your post, I followed your directions, took the trannys out, tried to dump the old fluid (5cc in one and less than 10cc in the other) I filled them with the oil, and viola, I'm good to go for a while. Thank you for your post..............

• bart5017
    6 years ago

I have a z420 that went swimming.Pulled the engine apart and got it running.After 45 minutes of mowing the left side started to slip.Apparently the breather tubes went under for five minutes.Can't locate a drain plug or filler hole.I'd like to drain it and refill with new.Do I have to pull the transaxle to find the drain plug? Any help would be appreciate,I think it still has some life. Thanks! No Name....

• Ramblin Bob
    6 years ago

bart5017: Sorry to hear about your mower going swimming, something I worry about every time I mow next to the River............. But to answer your question. yes, you need to pull the transaxel, drain it out, refill it with 20-50 oil, (see dad4077's post above) and you should be good to go..... Good Luck.........................

• bart5017
    6 years ago

Thanks, just got the transaxle out. I'm trying to drain them and less than a shot came out. I'll try and pull the plug tomorrow and get more out, it's really tight. The breather hose I thought would drain it.Do you know how many ounces it takes,I'm old school! I do know what a shot is...

• Ramblin Bob
    6 years ago

1650 Milliliters (mL) = 55.79314 Ounces (fl oz)

• drmbarry
    5 years ago

Have a Toro Timecutter ss5025 (H. Depot), only 11 months old. Similar problem- LH hydrostatic tranny slips to the point of full loss, but only after 1.5 hrs of (heavy terrain) use. After fully cooling down, function returns to normal.

What is the fix for overheating tranny slippage?

• tomplum
    5 years ago

Me, I would clean the wheel motors up and start with a new OEM drive belt. Because the way many of these are tensioned, they defy logic and the LH side gets anemic. either that or use your warranty.

• drmbarry
    5 years ago

Thanks Tom, by anemic do you mean belt slipping? Which belt? Deck belt is fine. Have you had the same problem? All totally normal till 1.5 hrs in, then progressive loss of all drive LH side. Back to normal after 2 hrs cool- down.

Repair shop won’t test this. I need to convince by explanation alone. Guess maybe I need to video!

• tomplum
    5 years ago

I'm referring to the traction belt.

• rogerxjackson
    5 years ago

I'm having same problem it works fine for 1 And half hour then stop steering until it cool off

• drmbarry
    5 years ago

AHA!!

• gner80
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a 2006 Toro Z420 and the left side quit pulling.After doing some checking it seemed that i should pull transmission, which i was not going threw all of that, to repace the oil. I located the fill plug under the floor, did some measuring and drilled a 1/2 in hole thru the floor, i then washed and cleaned the top of transmission and took the plug out. Works better with the wheel off. After checking i drilled and tapped a hole for # 10 screw on the vertical side of transmission. Then lifting the front of mower let it drain in clean pan, measured the oil that came out, not sure but think it was 52 oz. At the time i could not find any 20-50 so i put in Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50, It cured my problems so i did the other side, has been working good for 4-5 years.

• Rick Askew
    5 years ago

Guys, my Z5000 just quit on me as well. I can move the handles back and forth and the unit does nothing. I assume my Hydro is gone out as well. But I do have a question, how hard is it to remove the tranny and replace the 2050 oil?

• tomplum
    5 years ago

You most likely tossed the belt Rick. Or someone helpful engaged the tow valves...

• Rick Askew
    5 years ago

Tomplum, before it went out, I heard a whiny noise under the unit, so when the noise stopped, that's when it stopped moving. I will check the belt.

• Merv Buckley
    5 years ago

I have a Timecutter Z530 and the hydrostatic drive units are noisy when I first start and move but then when mowing can’t hear a thing any one got any ideas regarding the noise

• Jim Ford
    4 years ago

Glad I found this; I have a Z5000 (purchased new) with slipping trannies. Toro replaced three under warranty, but refused to do any more. I mow just over an acre, and as the mower heats up the left transmission starts whining, then quits. After it cools (several hours) it will work again for a while. The three that Toro replaced (both sides did it) did the same thing. Now they insist that it doesn't do it any more, and won't replace them. When it started I could see a fine coat of oil on the tranny case, but enough has been puked out now that it doesn't leak any more. Toro told me that the oil I saw came from the engine, even though the engine uses no oil. When I found this site I was looking for replacement transmissions -- but not from Toro.

Does anyone know if someone makes a better transmission that will work? I can't afford a new mower and I don't want to buy transmissions from Toro that will just fail before the year is out. I bought the mower to cut the time it takes to mow my yard, but with the overheated tranny slipping (which Toro insists isn't happening) I need three or four sessions with extended cooldowns in between to get the yard mowed. Thank you so much, Toro.

On another note, every time I put it in the shop (and it spent more time in the shop than at my house the first year I had it), they would replace pulleys (not under warranty), saying they were worn out. The pulleys were fine, but the cheap bearings Toro uses would be toast. I was paying outrageous prices for the new pulleys. I went to a bearing supply with the pulleys and bought a bunch of replacement bearings, which they pressed into the old pulleys there, for far less than the price of one pulley. All of the new bearings have lasted several years, and I haven't had a pulley failure yet since buying the better bearings.

• HU-118241160
    4 years ago

I suppose you guys are all quoting US $'s - I was dumb enough for dealer to do this - was like $1400 w/labor($1150) for the part - NOW...my rh side I noticed has leakage all over it & was sluggish for a moment yesterday - nothing but fail after fail w/this pos...hoping a friend will do this for me

• Bill Martin
    4 years ago

my toro hydro bearing failed and burned the belt up in my haste to get it to my shop i forgot to put it in free wheel i replaced the bering and belt put it will not move on either wheel what could be my problem when i got off the mower the handles were out and the axle locks were engaged. thanks

• ralph henke
    4 years ago

I had a left tranny Toro Time Cutter Model 76401, 2003, 15 year old,that was dying,or so i thought.

I ended up buying a new mower a Spartan Pro .

I planned on fixing the old girl to do the areas under trees that border our property .

Before pulling the old transmission out i thought i would check all other options .

I noticed the idle pulley arm was tight and hit it with a length of steel pipe in the direction the spring is pulling to tighten the belt ( there isn't much room to work yet swing a hammer ),seemed like nothing had happened,didn't notice any movement.

To my surprise i had full steering back and still have after 10 hours of mowing.

The arm is still tight and i have been trying to free it up but so far no luck ,i found a grease nipple

accessible through a small hole behind the battery , pays to read the manual ,

Hope this may help someone else before they start pulling everything apart or like me buying a new mower. :)

• HU-202786899
    4 years ago

I have a toro z200 timecutter, 2006 I believe. Someone changed the rt axle to the upgraded 1" after the old one broke last year, I wasn't involved in the repair but could not get neutral on that side. I've adjusted the linkage at the rear and found neutral. Good. took it off the jacks and forward works well on both sides but it will now not go in reverse. I never touched the left side so I'm not understanding no reverse on either drive wheel. I've not found any site that addresses this particular issue - typically no forward or reverse.

Any ideas? I need to mow!

• HU-202786899
    4 years ago

correction - that should be *Z4200*. if it was pump failure I wouldn't have forward capability would I?

• HU-356145273
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The Toro mowers have two ports (one on each side of the steering tranny). Remove the service caps. They are in a confined area but if you use an extension and a bit it will make it easy on you depending on model. Use a suction hose and remove as much of the oil as possible. I used a break bleeder to suck out the oil. The oil was pretty dark. Fill tranny with 20w50 oil in each port or the spec oil for your Toro and recap. Don’t over fill. I used a long funnel with a hose attached. No need to remove the tranny!! Took me less than 10 mins and I’m back in action. Hope this helps!

• Brent Temple
    3 years ago

Dad4077 and all the other commenters, thank you! You saved me a bundle. I chose to take mine out in order to get the best drain. Refilled and reinstalled. All total, it took about two and a half hours and cost around $20.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!