Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_123

John Deere L100 engine not start

cliff.123
9 years ago

My JD L100 tractor 2 months ago refused to crank. I tried many ways to get it cranked and the battery died. After I carefully checked under hood, I found park switch was off. I replaced it and also disable seat safety switch. The electric problem was solved. Starter starts spinning and flywheel rotate accordingly. But the engine does not want to fire up. So far I tried:

1) cleaned carburetor
2) adjusted valves according to manual
3) tested fuel solenoid and its working
4) tested spark plug and it shows blue sparks
5) finger felt compression at spark plug hole
6) sprayed carburetor cleaner into carburetor and started for a few seconds and died

Since my battery died, I have to use jump cables and charge the tractor from my car's battery.

I also tried to start it with air filter off and gas tank cap off

It just does not want to start. I notice that when I tried to crank the engine, the engine has this noise I never heard before. Even with it, I still felt compression at spark plug hole.

I ran out of ideas. So far, I can tell, sparks are there, compression is there. Maybe its fuel. But I cleaned carburetor well. I can also heard clicking sound from fuel solenoid when I turn on ignition, which tells me its open.

I appreciate any suggestion or idea

Cliff

Comment (1)

• rcbe
    9 years ago

Cliff - the fact that your engine did try to start when you sprayed rattlecan carb cleaner into the carb intake indicates the engine is not getting fuel.
    Using a catch container, remove the fuel supply hose to the carb bodyand then crank the engine for a few second to see that you are getting a strong flow of fuel from the fuel pump (if so equipped) or a steady flow of fuel from the gravity fed fuel tank.

If so, problem is still inside your carb - remedy is to remove, take apart, soak overnite in liquid carb cleaner, then use a small dia stiff brass wire with a magnifier to probe EVERY opening/orifice/passageway in each component, blowing same out with compressed air to clear dislodged crud. Then rebuild card with NEW rebuild kit using only fresh gaskets . Recheck that afterfire solenoid for not sticking, too. Good luck.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath