Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jab_

John Deere 180 won't start

jab-
9 years ago

There is a similar post about an LT180 and I went through it but didn't get anywhere. Here's what I have and if anyone can offer a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.
I parked my JD 180 a few years ago with fuel stabilizer in it. Surprise, it started almost right away. It ran fine for a few minutes then died, presumably due to running out of fuel. I added fuel, and it won't start.
Here's what I've done so far:
1) I detached the fuel line from the carburetor and cranked the engine to verify I had fuel flowing, It did
2) I unplugged the cable from the spark plug and stuck a long screw driver in it. Holding the screw driver shaft near the engine block, I got sparks when cranking the engine.
3) I removed and cleaned t he carburetor with choke/carb cleaner, removed the bowel and cleaned it as well. I reattached the carb with a new gasket I cut from gasket material.
4) I checked the solenoid at the carb and it moved freely.
5) I sprayed choke/carb cleaner in the open air cleaner while cranking the engine but got no pop.
6) I cleaned the spark plug out of desperation,

What should I try next?

Comments (12)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

It sounds like it ran the fuel out of the carb bowl and then quit.

I'd suspect anything that resists fuel flow to the carb.
    Restricted filter may allow "some" fuel to pass, but not enough.
    Weak pump if equipped.
    Fuel line deteriorated internally, causing a blockage.

• jab-
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked the fuel bowl and had gas in it. If a safety interlock was keeping the engine from starting, would I still have spark at the plug?
    I'm going to look for a compression guage next to see if the third part of the equation (gas+spark+compression=start) is the cause.
    Jeff

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

A safety switch only prevents spark.

You might check the carb fuel solenoid to make sure it's clicking when you turn the key ON/OFF

Is this an LT 180, 180 or some other version?
    JD's can be a bit confusing for model#'s.

• jab-
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the safety switches are working then because I get a spark.
    I've looked at the solenoid and it moves easily. I'll remove it and watch it as I turn the ignition on (grounding the outside with a jumper of course).
    It's and older unit, a model 180, not LT 180.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Jeff

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

If there are lights and stuff on that model (forgot what I used), it's possibly a battery issue even though it started because sensors on those seats and lights might kick on.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I looked up that model and that's what I used for like 12 years. I'm not a mechanic but that model was ten times better than the one that replaced it so it's worth taking into the shop.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

" I sprayed choke/carb cleaner in the open air cleaner while cranking the engine but got no pop. I cleaned the spark plug out of desperation,
    What should I try next?" A new spark plug would be tops on my list. I wonder if you have a stuck valve from the storage?

• jab-
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked the solenoid on the carburetor by first verifying that there was power going to it when I turned on the key, then I removed it and held it up to a ground and energized it again. Nothing happened. I'm assuming that means the solenoid failed.
    Unless someone pipes in that I did't check this correctly, I'm going to order a new solenoid and report back after installing it.
    Thanks all...
    Jeff

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

The plunger might be frozen due to corrosion etc.
    You might try removing it and see if you can manually move it./free it up.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Yes, the plunger should retract if you actually have 12 volts and a good ground. But, that does not explain what there was no attempt to run w/ the carb spray you shot into the venturi. If you feel the solenoid is bad, a stout wire cutters will nip the plunger off and you can at least test run it before ordering a new one if that is the case.

• jab-
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill
    The plunger on the solenoid moves freely by hand; however, when I energize it, the plunger does not move on its own.
    What's interesting is that when it is energized and I push the plunger manually in, it stays in until I de-energize it, then it pops out.
    I'm assuming that energizing it should pull the plunger in on its own. Maybe the solenoid wore out?

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Sounds like it's bad then.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner