Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugmark

JOhn Deere 425 won't even crank

pugmark
13 years ago

HI,

My JD 425 was running perfectly. Today it wouldn't start,but had starter clicking noise. Charged battery although it was 75% charged, and it started and ran fine. I shut it off, and now it won't even click. Battery is fully charged, but all I hear when I turn the key is slight hum which sounds like it's coming from the fuse panel. The starter does not click or even try to spin. There is a green LCD light on the panel where the fuses are, and it lights up when key is turned. The time dely thing was rep[laced about a year ago. This is an older model 425 and it has a Kawasaki engine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments (15)

• User
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

#1 Make sure the battery is fully charged and GOOD. Make sure the battery cables are clean and corrosion free and snug AT BOTH ENDS. Check the starter bolts and make sure they're tight. A VM showing 12 volts does not mean that the battery is good and neither does any meter on any battery charger. A VM across a static battery should show 12.7 VDC or higher to about 13.2 VDC.

#2 Make sure the charging system is operating properly. To do that you need a KNOWN GOOD battery. Simple test... with a known good battery start the tractor and let it idle. Turn on the lights. As you raise the RPM to WOT the lights should get brighter and a VM across the battery should show 14 VDC or slightly higher..

#3 That slight hum you hear from the panel is most likely a relay telling you that your battery is not good or it could be a bad relay.

#4 If you keep trying to start your 425 with a bad battery you will be buying a starter and you won't like that.

• pugmark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well as usual, the answer I received here was accurate! I took the battery in and had it checked. It was fine, so I cleaned the terminals and battery posts and tried again. Tractor started right up! Thanks so much for your detailed instructions!

• User
    13 years ago

You're welcome.

• farmer74
    11 years ago

What is the chance that the ignition timer is replaced (which fixes a no spark condition), and three starts later the battery develops a condition that prevents the engine from even cranking? Apparently very good. Thanks for the reco to go to the battery first.

• mownie
    10 years ago

Well, if you subjected that battery to some serious, but unproductive, cranking cycles while studying hard to find the cause of a no spark condition................I would say "better chance than winning the lotto".

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

When all else fails, and you suspect a bad battery, try jump starting using your car. MAKE SURE THAT BOTH SYSTEMS ARE THE SAME VOLTAGE.

• User
    10 years ago

"When all else fails, and you suspect a bad battery," take the battery to someone who will load test the battery right in front of you. Then you'll know if the battery is good or bad instead of guessing.

• Paulpep68
    10 years ago

I have been following the advise on this problem (always looking to learn something) and would like to know how trying to start a tractor with a bad battery could ruin a starter, as stated by justalunker on Nov 14, 2010?

• mownie
    10 years ago

Because a "bad" battery has very little amp capacity.
    This will result in a very pronounced voltage drop when the battery is subjected to its normal (for the application) starter load.
    A low voltage scenario coupled with high amp draw will result in sky rocketing heat build up in the starter windings and heavy arcing to the brushes and copper commutator bars of the starter armature. All of which can kill a starter, especially the heating of the wire windings, which will then short circuit into each other once the thin shellac coating of the wires cooks off.

• Paulpep68
    10 years ago

Thank you gentlemen. Monie, I am still missing one thing. As you said, " a bad battery has low amp capacity", where then does the "HIGH" amps originate? The starter receives only what the battery delivers. Therefore, if the battery only has potential for low amps where do the high amps come from? please adjust my understanding. Again, thanks for the help.....paulpep

• Paulpep68
    10 years ago

Thank you, Gentlemen. Monie, I am still messing one thing. You said that, "a bad battery has low amp capacity". Where, then, does the HIGH amps originate? The starter receives only what the battery delivers, I assume. Therefore, if the battery has potential for LOW amps. Where do the high amps come from? Again, I thank everyone for sharing their wisdom with me......paulpep

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

A GOOD battery has the capacity to deliver SUFFICIENT (high) amps to crank the starter.
    As it ages, that capacity diminished to the point it is INSUFFICIENT (low) to crank the engine.

8 penlight batteries will deliver 12 volts, but is insufficient to crank your engine.

• Paulpep68
    10 years ago

Monie, thank you for your excellent commentary on "batteries ". I can't imagine there being one thing left to consider. Thank you for your time to explain this very important information....paulpep68

• Yonatin 7a
    9 years ago

Hello I know this thread is old but, I have the same mower and just replaced the battery and now when I turn the key to crank the engine over all I hear is the fuel pump humming. Back when I had the old battery I accidentally crossed the jumper cables and blew my house circuit. Could that have fried the starter at all? Also what are the steps you need to go through to start the mower? I'm thinking it may also possibly be a safety switch that isn't engaged. Any help would be greatly appreciated. the fuse panel has a green light and the fuses don't appear to be blown, so I'm left to wonder if it's the starter. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back from you guys as soon as possible.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH