Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyinusa_wa

Favorite rose garden in UK?

Cindy in USA - WA
23 years ago

My husband and I are taking a trip to England for our 25th wedding anniversary. (June 24-July 2nd) I am gathering information in the hopes of trying to narrow down, which rose gardens to visit. I have been reading many travel guides...but I would love personal recommendations from roses lovers of their Âmust see favorites.

Dreaming of England and her rose gardensÂI canÂt wait!

Cindy

Comments (8)

• Elaine - 8a
    23 years ago

Cindy..my favourite was Mottisfont(reason being..this is where Graham Thomas amassed a wonderful collection of old garden roses, which would have disappeared off the face of the earth(when you go into the little store to the right of the entrance to the garden..get yourself a little brochure on the outlay of the garden and all the names of the roses inside...this is a keeper!!!! Kiftsgate Court is my other favourite..this is just down the road from Hidcote Manor..Happy special anniversary to you!!! Elaine

• David Green - UK
    23 years ago

Hi Cindy
    My absolute favourite garden, and it is full of roses -old fashioned and climbing roses all beautifully trained - must be Sissinghurst in Kent, about an hour from London -its just up the road from where I live (I'm a landscape architect)
    We are setting up a small and hopefully luxorius Bed and Breakfast in our 18th century house in Cranbrook, Kent this year and also hope to run a few garden tours and give guided tours to small groups.
    If you would be interested please let me know. there are many other wonderful gardens in the area, including Great Dixter which is famous for its long herbaceous border, Scotney Castle- a garden around a romantic ruin, Pashley Manor- which also has some lovely roses and many more...

• leonora London, UK
    23 years ago

Well, if you're in London - there is always the Rose garden in Regent's Park. It's not as big or impressive as Sissinghurst, it's a small, fairly intimate garden within on of the large Royal Parks. I am fortunate enough to live fairly near it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jane's Gardening Page

• Daphne
    22 years ago

My favorite is Sudeley Castle. I have some photos I took there on my website, along with a few other gardens in England. I took a garden tour there last summer the end of June and the roses were breathtaking!

Happy Traveling
    Daphne

Here is a link that might be useful: my photos of English gardens

• M Moore US-5 Denver
    22 years ago

I agree with Daphne. Sudley Castle was a magnificent rose garden with a very high level of maintenance.

• Cartisano
    22 years ago

Nobody mentioned Kew! What a treat that is. I loved Regent's Park too. Since I'm a rose grower, my favorite was the Gardens Of The Rose in St Alban's. So many wonderful gardens to see. I have to go back.
    Toni

• diggerGB
    22 years ago

Try the rose garden at Castle Howard, Yorkshire.I have never seen such healthy plants.

• susan82
    22 years ago

I am thinking of taking a rose tour soon...Gentle Journeys recommends Mottisfont. Also, the David Austin headquarters in Wolverhampton - english roses headquarters.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus