Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryhathway

Best indooor gardens

terryhathway
20 years ago

Hi,

We are looking to travel some where in the midwest region of USA or south central USA and looking for any advice on any indoor gardens to see. Any advice would be appreciated.

Terry

Comments (11)

• zoohortmmm
    20 years ago

Knowing which states you plan to visit would be helpful in answering your question.

• terryhathway
    Original Author
    20 years ago

ZooHort,

Well actually we have no destination to speak of. Just looking for some new indoor gardens this time of year to visit. Went to see the 3 Domes in Milwaukee WI and that was very nice, indoor gradens there, 3 of them, one desert, one tropical, and one special occasion. Any state in the midwest we would travel to. A good question thou, thanks for asking.

Terry

• adisim
    20 years ago

I haven't been to either but picked up brochures for the wichita, kansas and st louis, missouri gardens on a drive from ny to colorado this month. On the east coast, Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania is always worth it.

• zoohortmmm
    20 years ago

The Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis are excellent with large indoor displays. The Matthaei Botanical Gardens on the east side of Ann Arbor, Michigan has a large conservatory complex with collections of tropical/subtropical, Meditteranian and desert plants. The Indianapolis Zoo added a botanical garden addition a couple of years ago and it also has an interesting desert under glass with plants and animals. The relatively new Cleveland Botanical Garden also has two interesting indoor exhibits of tropical rainforest plants and plants (and animals) of Madagascar. There is a large indoor rainforest exhibit at the Cleveland Zoo. The Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska has a large indoor rainforest exhibit and a new desert exhibit that I have not seen yet. There is also a conservatory at the Des Moine, Iowa botanical garden. Hope that gives you some ideas.

• Jennifer_Ruth
    20 years ago

A place I'm looking forward to visiting is Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Jennifer

• cattknap
    20 years ago

Longwood Gardens in the Brandywine Valley, PA - the have acres and acres of the most exquisite indoor gardens with lakes, waterfalls - a gorgeous orchid room - breathtaking displays of flowers and the grounds and fountains are fabulous. Nearby is Winterthur - another DuPont estate - beautiful gardens and the house tour is not to be missed.

• adisim
    20 years ago

Winterthur is beautiful- wonderful woodland gardens. Nemours is also nearby in Delaware and the house tour is followed by time to walk in the gardens. Longwood though is the only one with indoor gardens. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden also has nice conservatory space.

• Bill_zone6
    20 years ago

If going to Longwood, stop in Pittsburgh to see the Phipps Conservatory. Lots to see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phipps Conservatory

• cattknap
    20 years ago

Wow Bill - beautiful! We will have to visit.

• White_Wave
    20 years ago

The conservatory in Fort Wayne is where we held our wedding reception. Lush tropical area with a waterfall to walk under, quite romantic.

If you do stop by Fort Wayne and are interested in only the indoor spots, also give the Children's Zoo a tour. They have a Rainforest exhibit packed with butterflies. Lots of walking to get to it, if that is your concern though.

• caroljaneoh
    19 years ago

The Franklin Park Conservatoy in Columbus,Ohio has a beautiful glass house, great exhibits and lovely grounds. We went down in March to see the Chihuly Gardens and Glass exhibit. Not only was the combination of my two favorite things terrific but an Orchid show opend that day too. Worst blizzard of the year so the trip was extreemly rewarding. Th Chihuly goes until fall, I believe.