Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duke Farms in New Jersey

Posted by
ms.mariss 6
(laughlivegrow@yahooc.om) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 10:49

Duke Farms is well worth the visit if you live near New Jersey. They have 11 greenhouses that are currently open for tours(English, French, Italian, Indo-Persian, Tropical, Semi-Tropical, Japanese, Chinese, Desert, Colonial and Edwardian). The Edwardian was one of my favorites. It is filled with blooming orchids. It is smaller than the Longwood Orchid area, but more beautiful. The French gardens are also blooming with tulips now. You can also do a tour of the Duke home,which I found of interest. It was a wonderful day trip from Pennsylvania. Something to do on a cold winter day......

Here is a link that might be useful: Duke Farms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duke Farms in New Jersey

Thanks for the heads up. I'm from NJ and never heard of it.

o

Don't know if the rules are the same (I went years ago)but some things to keep in mind about Duke gardens:

1. The gardens are closed for the summer (May through September I believe).
2. You need to call in advance to make reservations for the day.

o

The Indoor Display Gardens created by Doris Duke at Duke Farms in central New Jersey (in Somerset County near Somerville) have been a favorite destination for many of us for years. Unfortunately, on May 25, 2008, at the discretion of the trustees, these gardens will be closed and their plant collections disbanded. An internet group has been formed to call attention to this great loss. An ongoing slide show of what will be be gone forever can be found at the website shown below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save Duke Gardens

o

As a result of pressure from the SaveDukeGardens website, the New York Times has picked up the story (Anne Raver's column, Garden Section, May 8th) and the Star Ledger has revisited it.

If you haven't been to the savedukegardens.org website and sent an email, please do so, and get your friends to do the same!

The only people who can stop the Gardens closing are people like you, sending emails. Your emails from the site will be delivered as hard copy to the Trustees, some of whom are Good Guys. Emails can and do make a difference in pressuring the Trustees to reverse this bad decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.SaveDukeGardens.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here