Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alanrocks

New England Gardens?

alanrocks
21 years ago

I will be in Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire in early June. Any recommendations for gardens - arboretums in that area? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• adisim
    21 years ago

There are lots of great recommendations for gardens but it depends on how far east/west you'll be- in southern Maine there is Hamilton House near South Berwick and there is a wonderful garden near Acadia National Park in Northeast Harbor. The Rockefeller Garden in that area is open, by appt only, once a week but I don't know if it is open in June. In Boston don't miss the Isabella Stuart Gardiner Museum...the rest of these places are on my list of places to get to one day... Garden in the Woods in Framingham, Saint Gauden's National Historic Site in Cornish, NH, and there are some gardens around Portsmouth NH which isn't far from South Berwick, ME. Enjoy your trip.

• alanrocks
    Original Author
    21 years ago

General itinerary includes Boston area, up to Bar Harbour ME, over to Moosehead Lake / Greenville ME, then the eastern side of NH and down to Mystic, CT.

• adisim
    21 years ago

I have a 1991 edition of The Complete Guide to North American Gardens- The Northeast. If you'd like me to post details I will. The area around Newport, RI is incredible for gardens, and the Portsmouth, NH- Portland, ME has some good gardens as well- I know I've seen some on HGTV- check their website for Portsmouth and Portland. Have a great trip.

• alanrocks
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I will continue to research what is there and what I will actually have time to see. It is a family trip, and while they will tolerate gardens, they don't find them as interesting as I do. Thanks for the input.

• pshoe
    21 years ago

In Boston:

Arnold Arboretum (olmstead)
    Mount Auburn Cemetary
    Forest Hills Cemetary (olmstead)

In Wellesley, MA:

Mass Hort society at Elm Bank
    Greenhouses at Wellesley College

In Worchester, MA:

Tower Hill Botanic Gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: Massachusetts Garden Tours 2003

• adisim
    21 years ago

If you'll be hiking/walking in Acadia National Park- Thuya garden in Northeast Harbor is beautiful and has wooden fences that open up to wooded trails/views.

• judyefd
    20 years ago

Great link from pshoe. Click on Public Gardens and select and see beautiful places in Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire.

I second the votes on Mount Auburn Cemetary, Garden in the Woods and Tower Hill - all in Massachusetts. (Vermont has beautiful gardens to visit too!)

Enjoy your trip, Alan.

• gardenfaerie
    20 years ago

If you will be driving out east, and heading through Pennsylvania, check out Hershey Gardens. I was heading to the chocolate city for the obvious reasons (chocolate, yummm!), and was pleasantly surprised at how decent the gardens were. Uh, though it may be past when you left now...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hershey Gardens