Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpcrose

Recovering from loss of loved one - need garden getaway

lpcrose
19 years ago

Hello Forumers:

I haven't posted much, particularly since I've been taking care of my mother for the last 6 months as she was dying from Pancreatic Cancer. It was a beautiful and trying, but exhausting experience. Now that she is at peace and my work is done, I am a wreak and really need a respite. Particularly a garden respite. Since I garden in Florida, I don't get to see the beautiful plants in other zones. I'm looking for suggestions as to a late April/May trip to see gardens and plants that I can't grow in Florida. I love peonies, coneflowers, roses, anything pretty. I just need to see some beauty and to reflect. I know you all can relate and can probably give some good suggestions. All will be very welcome. Thank you for your input. Sincerely, Laura C.

Comments (6)

• Carol_Ann
    19 years ago

Laura,

I think I know what you're going through... I was caregiver to a dear friend with pancreatic cancer and it was the most difficult and the most wonderful time of my life. My heartfelt sympathies.

Now, for your garden suggestion: if distance isn't an issue, how about the Pacific Northwest? It's hard to go wrong visiting here any time and the time of year you're thinking about is peak time for many things. Roses don't really peak until June but May is a riot of color of all sorts, and there are many wonderful places to visit. The Portland, OR area boosts some nice gardens and is just a wonderful, relaxing place to visit; ditto, Seattle. The Oregon coast is spectacular and completely unlike the Eastern shore (Cannon Beach is one place to check into if you're interested), and you might also like going up the Columbia River Gorge and to places like Hood River Valley and Mt. Hood. There's beauty everywhere you look; the people are gracious and easy-going, and I know you could find the beauty and respite you need.

I wish you all you need from your trip, where ever you go.

My best,

Carol

• hunt4carl
    19 years ago

Now that you've heard a pitch from the Northwest (which IS
    gorgeous!), allow me to make a suggestion that you visit
    the Northeast - there are so many different locales where
    you could saturate yourself in gardens. Start with Boston,
    where I was born and raised: the whole city will be in bloom in late April/early May and is imminently walkable
    (think European) - the Public Gardens, Beacon Hill, all the
    flowering trees and shrubs along the beautiful Charles
    River; cross the river and wander through the Harvard
    campus, the riverbank again, the exquisite Mt. Auburn Cemetery (designed as a garden) - add in museums, historical sites, the beautiful Fenway and further out,
    Jamaica Way...the later in May you go, the more beautiful.

Then, there's Philadelphia: here, a car would help to take
    you out to see the Morris Arboretum, Longwood Gardens (just
    stunning!), Chanticler (one of America's BEST!), the
    gardens at the Phila. Museum of Art, Winterthur in nearby
    Wilmington, DE - I would recommend checking with the Penn.
    Horticultural Society (they're online) who know EVERYTHING
    about gardens in that area.

Finally, my most recent stomping grounds, New York City
    (and beyond) and it's all accessible by public transporta-
    tion: there' the New York Botanical Garden (awesome), the
    Brooklyn Botanical Garden (charming), Wave Hill, the Cloisters and the adjacent Rockfeller Gardens (specializing
    in Spring bulbs), all of Central Park (but most particularly the restored Conservatory Gardens at 5th Ave.
    and 105th Street), and, the newest, knockout gardens in NYC (and not yet well known), the string of jewels all
    along the Hudson at lower Manhattan, winding in and around
    Battery Park City.

I could go on. . .but I've probably already put you to
    sleep! As for being a care partner: been there, done that,
    you DO need a garden respite. . .and deserve it!

All the best,
    Carl

• mrsgardener
    19 years ago

Laura, I know exactly what you mean! Sounds like you need an adventure so to do some soul searching.--- One year, I went to 6 family and friend funerals. Plus I a nurse that views sickness daily.--- What part of the States or overseas do you want to visit?-I think that one of the best things in traveling to other gardens is the researching.--- Will you travel alone?--- Many times I am party of one!-- LOL--- There's a website for groups of women that travel together.--- Donna

• wavesmom
    19 years ago

Yosemite in May is spectacular. The dogwoods are in bloom, the falls are running full, the temperature (usually) has a warm spring feel to it. Nobody is there yet so the park is empty.

I found great peace sitting in the meadow just staring at Yosemite Falls for hours on end.

The road into the park is beautiful as well with Redbud blooming, and all the wildflowers in the Central Valley.

Peace to you - it's a difficult time.

Deb

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

Acadia National Park...asticou gardens in June is awesome! As well aas the island itself in bloom with lilacs and azaleas,etc...

• auntiedonna2
    18 years ago

I am sorry for your loss. Yes,the beauty of flowers and all things growing is wonderful for the healing process. Have you thought of Williamsburg, Virginia? I am a history buff, so walking around historic Williamsburg is a thrill for me.
    A season pass not only gets you into the area during the day, it also gets you into different activities during the evening. Also, they have programs that you can be a part of or just sit and listen.
    Also, I believe Amtrack has a station in Williamsburg, if you didn't want to drive.

Sponsored