susan82_gw

*Fave rose gardens in Europe*

susan82
22 years ago

Would love your comments/photos!

Comments (5)

• roselin32
    22 years ago

The Danube Park in Vienna-built on which was once a landfill, it is now a gorgeous park with wonderful roses and other flowers.

• DavidJoe
    21 years ago

Sue

Sissinghurst is looking very good at the moment and I will try and e-mail you some photos. Constance Spry was looking fabulous, and lots of lovely climbers like Lady Hillingdon, Pauls Lemon Pillar, Meg, Easlea's golden rambler and many more.

The other 'must vist' is Graham Stuart-Thomas's collection of roses at Mottisfont Abbey - owned by the National Trust.

I would love to hear others opinions, especially on French and UK rose gardens.

David

• Paulfzimmerman
    21 years ago

Visit Mottisfont. Also stop by Peter Beales' nursery. Both well worth the visit!

• DavidJoe
    21 years ago

Susan

I couldn't remember if I ever sent you the Sissinghurst photographs I promised. Send me an e-mail and I will attach them to my reply (I couldn't figure out how to do this on the GardenWeb system!)

Dave Parkers invectis site is very good for Sissinghurst photos. See the link below.

I would also agree with Paul that Mottisfont is well worth a visit and has an extensive collection of old garden roses, and the climbers and ramblers are lovely.

Happy garden visits!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Parker's photos including Sissinghurst

• zone17
    21 years ago

I lived in Lyon for 8 months in 1989 only a few blocks from the Jardin Tete d'Or. I think I remember that it has the 8th largest rose garden in the world. The gardens in the park are beautiful and on Sundays the French all stroll around in their Sunday best. There are swans in the lake and a huge botanical garden and even a zoo.
    I can never stress how under-rated Lyon is. The city center is absoultely beautiful. It was used as the setting for the Prague scenes in The Unbearable Lightness of Being. They have the best food in the world, and in summer the Rue Merciere is closed to traffic because all the restaurants pull their tables out into the streets. They are so under-touristed that they don't have the attitude that Parisians have - partly though, because they're southerners. There are four universities, many churches and museums, and I must say, the Saturday market on the Rhone/Siene rivers is not to be missed if you are a seeker of the finest gastronomie.
    From Lyon it is only 2 hours north to Beaune (Burgundy) on the TGV, and then just a jump again to Paris.
    Enjoy,
    Carla