Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudia_gw

Gardens in Germany and Eastern Austria

Claudia
24 years ago

My husband and I will be going to Germany in May. This will be our fourth trip to Germany and second to Austria. I am looking for information about gardens that we shouldn't miss. Our headquarters will be out of Munich. Two years ago, we did the Bodensee/Lake Constance and Switzerland. Would love any input to gardens that we shouldn't miss. Yours, Claudia

Comments (8)

• Margot McCormack
    24 years ago

Have you been to the Munich Botanical Garden? Although I grew up in Augsburg (45 miles away) I wasn't a gardener until I moved to Michigan 31 years ago. About 6 years ago, when visiting my sisters I made it a point to go to the
    Botanical Garden and was very impressed by what I saw. The lay out is great, the collections in the greenhouses and outside are impressive. I want to go back again as soon as I spend more than 24 hours in Munich. I am sorry that I never looked for it years ago; any avid gardener will enjoy it. You have been to the island Mainau/Lake Constance I hope?

• roselin32
    23 years ago

Do go to Vienna and visit the wonderful parks there-our favorite was the Danube Park built on the site of a former dump. Absolutely wonderful roses and magnificently landscaped.

• nutgrass
    21 years ago

Am visiting Heidelberg next month for several days, then driving to Berlin -- Am interested in Gardens around Heidelberg and on the way to Berlin. charlieperkins@charter.net

• wbussom
    21 years ago

Munich: Nymphenburg Palace and the botanical gardens on its grounds are a must-see. There's a restaurant there, too. The English Garden (basically a big park, not gardens) is nice for strolling and has some interesting landscaping.

• viburnumvalley
    21 years ago

A good little book on gardens to get if you're traveling in Germany: The Garden Lover's Guide to Germany (Charles Quest-Ritson; Princeton Architectural Press 1998).

I'll only mention places I've been, on multiple visits since 1987 honeymoon trip.

Schwetzingen (for the Heidelburg visitor)
    Insel Mainau (topnotch, don't miss if you're within 150 km)
    Nymphenburg Munich
    Hellbrunn (Heilbronn?) Wasserspielgarten (waterplay) in Salzburg

Enjoy! I'm jealous, and can't wait to go back myself.

• gardenfaerie
    20 years ago

Well, it's a bit late now, but I remember liking the gardens in Graz (Austria) at the Schlossberg. OK, really it's just a nice hike up a nice hill with the Graz Uhrturm (clock tower), but there are lots of flowers along the way. For something more officially gardenlike (!), try the botanical gardens at the University in Graz.

I can't believe I didn't check this out when I was in Vienna (I probably saw *every* other tourist attraction due to ozer zealous cousins!), but it looks like the Botanical Garden of the University of Vienna (Hortus Botanicus Vindobonensis) is pretty cool.

Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical Garden at University of Vienna

• viburnumvalley
    20 years ago

This thread has rested long enough.

I'll be traveling to these locations in October. Any updates from the spring/summer travelers on what's new, same, or indifferent?

• MarianneF
    19 years ago

Really go see the Munich Botanical Gardens. Their orchid collection is a must see (by october, the fall bloomers will be on high display). The alpine garden is also wonderful, with many wild orchids. The layout is wonderful, as well, and the restaurant offers normal food.

Insel Mainau is great. I was there in the spring, and the flowers (especially roses) were spectacular. They also have an orchid house, but I believe not on display until late winter, early spring.

If you are in the Berlin area, go to Potsdam, of course, and also to Würlitz just a bit further out. Würlitz is an english garden, the most impressive and extensive in germany. It has wonderful views, and rare wildlife.

Enjoy!

Marianne

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022