Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darlenex

English Gardens in September ... planning a trip

Darlenex
19 years ago

I will be in London the second week of September, after which I will have nearly a week to explore some gardens in England. Where to go -- what to do. Is September too late in the year?

Comments (6)

• DavidJoe
    19 years ago

No not too late at all - September can be a nice warm month and there will still be plenty of colour in the gardens- second blooming of roses and lots of other late summer flowers. Great Dixter's little 'exotic garden' will be at its peak with luxuriant foliage and magnificent cannas and dahlias. Sissinghurst will be colourful too (in fact it is colourful for every month of opening). I live just a few miles from these famous gardens (and many others also worth visiting)so e-mail me for more info if you wish.

• gardenfaerie
    19 years ago

I was there in March, not autumn, but I suspect Kew Gardens will be beautiful any time of year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kew Royal Botanical Gardens

• Kandy_Australia
    19 years ago

Maybe this would fit the bill! Happy garden touring.

Kandy

Here is a link that might be useful: September 2004 Garden Tours Sissinghurst Great Dixter and others

• Kandy_Australia
    19 years ago

For accommodation near Sissinghurst I can recommend Church Gates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Near Sissinghurst - Bed and Breakfast

• erstanfo
    19 years ago

I just got back from England.
    We visited (pardon spelling) Edenbouro Botanical Garden, Glasgow Botanical Garden, Coulsium Walled Garden near Glasgow, Wisley a RHS Botanical Garden in London, Alan & Adren Blooms personal gardens at Blooms of Bressingham in Bressingham, Beth ChadowÂs Garden & Nursery, Great Dixter, Sisinghearst, Hidthcoat, KEW, and several others.

The best were Blooms of Bressingham, Beth Chadow's, Coulsium Walled Garden, Wisley. The other's owned by National Trust or other historical groups are showing the signs of stress of the economic times. Great Dixter was a particular dissappointment. They are nice, but a little rugged and tired around the edges due to lack of maintance.

• chartreuseandplum
    19 years ago

I hope I am not too late to answer your posting. I was in Britain in September and I started in South Wales and made a big upside down U, ending in Canterbury. My favorite gardens were the National Botanic Garden of Wales (I can't quite remember where in south Wales that is but you can find out about it on the web); Sizergh Castle near Kendal in the Lake District, which has a neat rock garden in a bowl behind the castle- the japanese maples were beginning to turn red and the gentians were in bloom; Chatsworth in Derbyshire with its famous water staircase and a maze; and Beth Chatto's garden, especially the dry garden, which is near Colchester, north of London. On an earlier trip a few years ago in June, I loved Great Comp, near Sevenoaks, south of London- trees and shrubs of different forms and colors in great beds. I'm sure that garden would be just as wonderful in September. Other gardens I loved were Bodnant in north Wales and Hidcote in the Cotswalds- but they would be better in June. Bodnant has a famous laburnam tunnel but that blooms at the end of May. Hidcote has a red border which would probably be wonderful at the end of summer but there is also a rose garden there which is wonderful in June. Hope you enjoy looking at gardens on your trip!

Sponsored
Bowers Design Build
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Fairfax County Design Build Firm Family Owned since 1990