Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trip to eastern USA

Posted by braenz Northland New Z (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 21:26

Hi all

Thank you for your help - this is what we have planned to date - would appreciate any other ideas.

While in New Jersey, visit Longwood Gardens?

Tuesday, 26/08/2008 - Philadelphia to Cape May visiting Leamings Run Gardens, Higbees Beach for seabirds, Nature Center of Cape May, Cape May lighthouse. Stay at the Inn of Cape May (historic)?

Wednesday, 27/08/2008 - Cape May to visiting Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge (different wildlife at each?) and Chincoteague Island. Stay B&B Chincoteague

Thursday, 28/08/2008 - In Chincoteague, then Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge, to Williamsburg, stay Williamsburg

Friday, 29/08/2008 - Williamsburg to Charlottesville visiting wineries, stay Dinsmore House?

Saturday, 30/08/2008 Charlottesville, visit friends, then to Charlotte visiting Mt Rogers National Recreation Area. Visit Daniel Stowe Gardens.

Sunday, 31/08/2008 - Charlotte via Congaree National Park to Savannah

Monday, 1/09/2008, Labor Day - Savannah via Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge to somewhere west of Jacksonville, north of Gainesville.

Tuesday, 2/09/2008 Florida visiting butterfly farms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trip to eastern USA

It looks as if you are really interested in natural history rather than gardens--places designed as works of art using plants among other materials. There are many, many gardens in the area you are visiting but none are on your list--which is fine--it just depends on your interests--wild nature or cultivated nature.

Longwood Gardens is a beautiful series of gardens. Check out their website to see if it is for you. It's in Pennsylvania, south of Philadelphia. There are many truly beautiful gardens in the Philadelphia area.

o

I love Ladew Topiary Gardens in Monkton Maryland, tho I haven't been there for several years. Here is a link to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladews Topiary Garden in Maryland

o

• Posted by braenz Northland New Z (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 3:55

Awesome, thanks for this Concretenprimroses, will heck this out.

Jacqui

o

• Posted by braenz Northland New Z (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 4:01

Hi Ginny

>> It looks as if you are really interested in natural history rather than gardens--places designed as works of art using plants among other materials. There are many, many gardens in the area you are visiting but none are on your list--which is fine--it just depends on your interests--wild nature or cultivated nature. <<

Both. All. Any ideas welcome. We are particularly interested in butterflies in the wild, so I guess natural heritage is really top of the list.

Mary who will be travellign with me loves orchirds and sub-tropicals too.

Jacqui

o

My favorite East Coast garden is Chanticleer outside of Philadelphia. Check out their website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here