Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susi_so_calif

New Orleans visit in June - what to see?

susi_so_calif
19 years ago

I'll be visiting New Orleans for the first time for 3-4 days in early June. Any garden events going on that I should know about? Any special garden-related places I should visit? I'll be in town from June 4-7, and I'll need to use a taxi or bus to get around.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Susi

Comments (3)

• JohnEd
    19 years ago

Check the newspapers as well as the local tourism headquarters and chamber of commerce. Two years ago in the spring we happened to be there when a "secret garden" walking tour was going on in the French Quarter. Unbelievable!! Private gardens tucked away that you would never normally see. Another place that would require a car is Long View Gardens which is in Metarie which is a connected suburb to N.O. It would take about 20 - 30 minutes to get to. Beautiful gardens focused around a mansion. Metarie also has several streets with new and older restored homes that have beautiful landscaping (Huge Spanish Oaks, etc). If you are in to garden architecture and accessories look up in the yellow pages for architectural salvage yards. They have great unique items that would fit into any garden. The one I'm remembering is The Armodillo Salvage (or something like that) It would require a car also. Have fun.

• ginny12
    19 years ago

THE must-see garden in New Orleans is Longue Vue. Don't miss it.

If you check a travel book about New Orleans, you will see several historic houses with gardens open to the public in the French Quarter. I just went on a tour of private gardens in the New Orleans area and I can't say there was anything fabulous in the French Quarter--garden-wise, that is--but the historic ones are nice.

I would definitely go to the Garden District (a section of N.O.) and stroll around. There are some wonderful gardens there but they are all private. However, you can see much from the sidewalk and many are planned that way.

There is also the N.O. Botanic Garden, nice but don't cry if you miss it.

If you have time, you can visit some of the plantation gardens along the Mississippi--again, check a travel book. And remember, it is VERY hot and humid in N.O. in June. Bring a hat and water bottle. Enjoy!

• madabouteu
    19 years ago

How was your trip to New Orleans? What places did you visit? I hope your trip was not too rainy - we ended up having rain 22 of the 30 days of June, the 4th wettest June on record!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville